Am I the only one or does WIC really tell the opposite of what your child's pediatrician tells you?

We had a WIC appointment yesterday and they weighed and checked my daughter's height. They told us that she's in the 40th percentile for her height which is fine but that she's too big for her size. We just took her to the doctor a few weeks ago and they told us that she's smaller than most children her age, but that's not a bad thing because she's healthy small. Now the WIC nutritionist is telling us that she's gaining weight too fast and we need to slow down on what we feed her. My daughter doesn't eat a lot and when she does it, it's healthy. Very rarely do we eat anything that's considered "junk" or "unhealthy". Of course I'm only going to go by what her pediatrician says, but just wanted to see if the WIC I go to is the same as everyone else's.

poptart0325

Asked by poptart0325 at 2:15 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Kids' Health

• they do that to me sometimes also. recently they told me my 1 year old was anemic and a couple days later at the doctors office her iron was 13!

honestly, listen to the person who has a medical degree, and smile & nod at the WIC office.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:19 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• In my experience WIC employees are alarmists and have to have something to caution you about. Don't fret, just listen to your doctor.
    Anonymous

• I take anything WIC says with a grain of salt. They told me my daughter was overweight (at 1 year) whereas her ped told us she was in the 50th percentile for her weight and that was great. I trust the guy with the medical degree and years of schooling =P
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 2:34 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• My son was born at the 7th percentile for weight and 90 for height and our doc said he was fine as long as he stayed within plus or minus 10% of where he was born meaning 0-17%. Well at EVERY WIC appointment they told us he was under 10% and needed to gain weight. I just nodded and walked out knowing my son was fine. He is 5.5 years old and still at the same percecntiles and our doc has NO issue with it at all since he eats ALOT and eats healthy.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 2:35 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• WIC goes by WHO standards your pediatrician goes by AAP ... while both groups have draw backs the WHO is CORRECT and less corrupt then AAP--

WHO (world health organization)
    AAP (American academy of pediatrics)
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 7:57 PM on Feb. 22, 2011