11 year with ADD arrested.... Do you agree with the arrest?

An 11-year-old boy was arrested, fingerprinted and handcuffed by police in Colorado all because of a stick-figure drawing he made in class.

Now his parents say they are out thousands of dollars as a result of the arrest, which took place in October and led to the boy being put on probation.

"It was heart wrenching to see my... 11-year-old son walk out my front door in handcuffs," said the child's mother in a report Monday on Fox 31 News in Denver.

The boy, identified as "Tim" because the family did not want their names used, suffers from Attention Deficit Disorder and was told by his therapist to draw pictures when he feels himself get upset or agitated.

On that day last year, he drew a picture of himself as a stick figure, using a gun to shoot several other stick figure people, his mother said. Above the figures he wrote, "teachers must die" and "music sucks."

"It was what his doctors had told him was the right thing to do," "Jane" said, according to Fox 31 News.

Finished with the drawing, he was about to throw it out, when it was seen by his teacher. The boy was sent to the principal's office, but the school was aware of his condition and that appeared to be the end of it, his parents said.

It was later that night, however, when Arvada police came knocking at their door after the school decided to report the incident.

"Jane" said police refused to let her go with her son, who was put into handcuffs and taken to the station. Once there, the boy was allegedly fingerprinted, photographed and put into a cell.

A police report indicates "Tim" admitted to drawing the picture, but insisted he would never hurt anyone, especially a teacher. He had never been in any kind of legal trouble before.

He was charged with interfering with staff and students at an educational facility, a third degree misdemeanor.

"It's bizarre to me that they would behave this way," Dr. Patrick Bacon, the boy's therapist, told Fox 31 News.

Calls to the Arvada police were not returned prior to this posting.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 2:16 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't agree with it. He was doing what his doctor instructed him to do. He obviously needs counceling but handcuffed and taken off to jail is too much. ADD has nothing to do with my thoughts either. He was just following directions. What he wrote is disturbing but not warrented of arrest or probation.
    SueAnd2

Answer by SueAnd2 at 2:39 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I have a child with ADD and ummm I would have beat his rear end... I think that this is a poor excuse to get publicity...
    yes it is HEART-WRENCHING That an 11 year old boy had to go through that... but guess what.. he could be the next columbine kid, if he was not aken into custody.... I think there are MORE underlying issue with this kid other than ADD and the NEWS of course has a way of twisting the media to make it sound WORSE than the case is or was... they tend to leave out pertinant information such as the kid was seeing a theripist because he has Intermitin eplosive disorder or anger issues, along with the ADD.. what kind of school he was in... here were I live there are ALTERNTIVE schools (schools for special needs) ....so there is really not enough printed news to make day or night of this situation...
    MOMMY2TWINBOYS4

Answer by MOMMY2TWINBOYS4 at 2:28 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Arresting him his wrong, but they are right to take it seriously. There is usually a sign before people do something drastic. I don't think jail is the right place, but definitely some sort of psychological facility. Well-adjusted kids don't write "teachers must die".
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:24 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Arvada is not that far from Columbine. I'm not surprised the school is so sensitive, and likely has a zero tolerance rule regarding threats of violence.

Unfortunately, zero tolerance is not always best for our children.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:24 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Arvada is about a 20 minute drive from where the Columbine high school tragedy occurred. All the schools in that area have had major training for these kinds of incidents. If they didn't report it and the child ended up killing someone, then you would be screaming the school did nothing. Damned if they do and damned if they don't.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:36 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Thats crazy to arrest an 11 yr old but nowadays kids are so unpredictable.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 2:20 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• OH MY GOODNESS!!! That poor boy :(
    I feel that arrest was totally uncalled for! He's 11 years old! A drawing is NOT deserving of being arrested. Good Lord. I can see maybe being sent to the principals office maybe to have him talk to the guidance counselor or have him give mom a call or have mom pick him up for that day or something..but police called..handcuffs..humiliated...and he was probably terrified.
    Thats just awful..very bad judgment call for those in charge of this!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I don't know that taking him away in handcuffs was the best idea, but I would be concerned if I was his teacher. Teachers must die?! That's scary and having ADD isn't an excuse.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 2:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Personally I think this was a direct violation of his constitutional right to free speech. Now I could understand if the school insisted on continued therapy (which he was already getting). But to have him arrested because of a drawing that technically wasn't interupting anyone? I think the parents should sue.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 2:25 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• That is HORRIBLE talk about traumatizing a family. Now a child who as dealing with his issues has even more issues stacked on. This is very very sad.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 2:27 PM on Feb. 22, 2011