Is this normal boy picking or bullying?

My son is in 3rd grade. Nearly every day he tells me about kids picking on him, calling him names, knocking him down. I've approached the teacher early in the year and he says that my son dishes it out verbally as much as the others. My son can get along with any kid who is nice to him. Do you think he is being bullied or is this normal boy picking? He has also been told not to wear certain clothes or they will beat him up. Do this or we'll beat you up.... so sad it breaks my heart.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• It's bullying .
    alexia_09

Answer by alexia_09 at 2:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• THAT is bullying. Been there, done that same thing that your son is going through from 4th grade through high school with NO intervention from ANY adult or teacher.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:24 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I would call the principal and arrange a meeting with the principal, the teacher, and your son...the other kids involved and thier parents and just get to the bottom of it. He shouldn't be pushed around..and if he's coming home almost daily with a new story about it...then it needs to really stop.
    Awe..I'm sorry your little boy is going through that. Kids can be so cruel sometimes :(
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:26 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Definitely bullying.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:27 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• This is bullying. If the teacher doesn't take it seriously tell the principal you are requesting a meeting with them and the school social worker before this gets more out of hand and erodes your son's self esteem even more.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 2:31 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• i used to get bullied in school too. As far as the extent on the clothes to wear or they will beat him up that would not be acceptable and bring that up to the teacher or contact the other kids parents and let them know about it so they can talk to them.
    Do u work outside the home or stay at home mom? if u are a stay at home mom ask the school if u can stay there for a day and see who starts the bulling first. also reassure him that he is special and he is loved by everyone and the kids that are bulling him just need extra attention so thats how they get it and just ignore those kids and it will stop
    2boysyahoo.com

Answer by 2boysyahoo.com at 2:32 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• It is bullying no matter how you look at it. I would call the school request a meeting with teacher principle and all the kids and their parents get to the bottom of it and talk about all that is being done or said. Its sad kids picking on others like that it really does need to stop.
    arobert29

Answer by arobert29 at 2:42 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Aww.... I can imagine, sounds like bullying. Go to the school and talk to the princple, your son is probably mouthing off in self defense and there should be a no tolerance rule for bullying or picking on each othere. This is why our kids of america go off on shooting rampages, because the school system does not solve the issues at an early age and then they grow up scared and angry, some kids lash out others dont. I would hate for my children to feel like that, it bothers me when my son gets picked on at preK and I speak up, LOUD and make sure the teachers know that situations like that need to be stopped.
    MelissaAnn224

Answer by MelissaAnn224 at 2:47 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• There used to be a big problem with bullying at my kids school...now we have a new principal and his focus is bullying...what he does is has peer helpers on the playground, 6th graders will hangout with 3rd graders and when they see kids being bullied they sit those kids down with the bullies and talk to them, this seems to really help. Talk to your principle and express your concern about the bullies and ask him to have peer helpers on the playground to watch over the kids
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:48 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• bullying. teachers an idiot for addressing it with all the boys, rather than simply brushing it off.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 5:05 PM on Feb. 22, 2011