At what age do you think is appropriate to begin music lessons for a child?

peekab00

Asked by peekab00 at 2:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think as soon as they can talk and hold a conversation with some understanding of whats being said. That MO anyway.
    darter

Answer by darter at 2:25 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• ~*Easy*~... when they show interest!!! Toys rUs has plenty of toys to see which they prefer
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 2:25 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• My son started playing drums when he was 3 and took lessons when he was 7, went on to be on his high school pep band symphonic ban, and did many concerts and won many awards. He is now 23 and his love for music is what makes him tick! He plays the flute, the guitar, the piano, and his drums, he was a jack of all traits during his high school band years, he played them all.

Answer by older at 2:28 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I started taking piano lessons when I was 5, and I LOVED it. I don't know how many years I took it... but I can still play 18 years later! I'd love to get my son into it when he's 5 too.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 2:29 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• in the womb.... we sang to my tummy, we went to concerts while preggers, we out headphones on my tummy ....
    the twins came out prcticaly singing.. they have a love fr music.. and as soon as they express interest in something GO for it... but you have to let pik what it is ...
    intorduce them to SEVERAL thins before they can't tell you they like it if tey dont know what it is ,,,,

there are so mny musicly influanced TOYS out there today you will see the right reaction.. after that it is UP to you to expose them to that mor!
    MOMMY2TWINBOYS4

Answer by MOMMY2TWINBOYS4 at 2:47 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• It depends on the instrument, really. Is it an instrument or voice, or music theory and appreciation?
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 2:48 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I started playing the violin at age 3. I started my kids on the violin when they were about 3 as well. Both of them wanted to start at about that age, probably because they saw me playing all the time and going out on gigs regularly. It's really about their interest.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 2:49 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• My daughter is 2 next month and we are in a Mom and Tot music class through our Parks and Rec. I will put her in piano when she is 4 or 5 but before then I will do mom and tot or toddler classes.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 2:52 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• My daughter is 3 and started taking violin lessons.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 2:55 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• i think when they start showing interest and initiative
    may be 7 ish!
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 9:15 PM on Feb. 22, 2011