How do you cure shin splints?

I have been a runner for years. But when I got pregnant with my 11 month old I pretty much stopped jogging except on rare occasion. I just recently started it up again and I have these awful shin splints which I have never had before. I think I need new shoes so that is on my list to buy. I read that the best thing to do is rest but I am preparing for a 1/2 marathon and I don't want to stop jogging. Also because I am finally motivated to lose the baby weight, I think that if I back down on jogging I will lose my motivation. Does anyone have any advice on how to make the shin splints go away?

bbchic

Asked by bbchic at 2:32 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Health

• If you continue running with shin splints you are risking injury that will completely prevent that 1/2 marathon run from happening. Get fitted for shoes, don't just buy them. Go to a running store and have your feet analyzed to see how you run.
    Ice, ibuprofen and rest are the only things that help shin splints.
    They are caused by heel strikes when running- it happens when your heel strikes are too hard when running.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 8:01 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• are you sure it's shin splints? if it were you'd be in constant pain and have a hard time walking. it's the muscle separating from the bone. are you having pain all the time?
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 2:42 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• 1) Duck walk. Walk around as much as you can on your heels with your toes in the air.

2) Tap your toes in time. Just like you're keeping time to your favorite song, only as fast as you can for as long as you can.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:42 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• momofone725, I had shin splints when I was running in high school. It wouldn't hurt all the time if I was walking around, but sure killed when I tried to do even the lightest jogs.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:44 PM on Feb. 22, 2011