Puppy is chewing on EVERYTHING....

what can i do to make him stop?!?! he chewed my table... right now he is lucky he is not homeless! I am pissed but know that its cause he is 4 mo old but dont know what to do to make him stop!!! ideas? for the record NO I would NOT get rid of him HE IS a SWEET dog minus this chewing!

rebeccadac

Asked by rebeccadac at 2:49 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Pets

• The kong toys are great filled with pb and even a chew stick through the middle, put em in the crate an put a blanket over the top so it's like a cave. they'll feel safe. Provide ur pup with lots of chewy stuff to distract from your yummy table and wear him out with a fun day of running at the park. MY favorite was tot ake my pups to a bark park and let them chase each other around. A tired dog will sleep all night and forget about ur table.
    liltxtornado

Answer by liltxtornado at 1:19 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Crate him when you are not home. Puppies are so cute but so annoying. It is normal for them to chew on everything and anything and the only thing you can really do is give them chew toys and monitor them until the phase is over. Our dog chewed on things till she was at least 2, but it does pass. Stick with it. Having dogs has been one of the great joys of my life and it is worth it to train them even when they ruin your stuff in the process!
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 2:51 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• We have a 6mo lab/collie...so here is a few tips we picked up
    1. Keep your eyes on him at all time like a toddler (which is he)
    2. If u cant keep your eyes on him put him in a crate that is visible in ur home (in ur livingroom-not a bedroom)
    3. Teach him (calling his name. treats.petting) to follow u where ever u go.. (again like a tot)
    4. CHEW TOYS! Lots of them! Tasty bones are great! Anytime u see him chewing on something startle him a bit to stop- offer him his bone & praise him when he uses it.. Praise him if u see him chew on his bone at random times..
    5. DONT EVER offer him things like old socks, old shoes, or whatever.. make it clear what his toys are & are not..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 3:18 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Have you tried Nylabones?
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 2:49 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• bitter apple works great
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 2:50 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• He won't stop chewing till he gets his permanent teeth in. (about a year old) That's the nature of things. You could put him in a kennel when you had to be away from home.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 3:02 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• He is going to chew no matter what.. but u can train him what TO chew on.. and what NOT to chew on!
    Good luck!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 3:19 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Nylabones ... I did get one and he blew through it in a matter of hours is there something that I missed did I get the wrong ones? Apple bitter? what is that and where do I get some?
    rebeccadac

Comment by rebeccadac (original poster) at 2:52 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Keep him in the crate. Spray bitter apple on everything. Buy a ton of chewies for him. Enough that he always has something to chew.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:57 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• WEll, this is something you are just going to have to deal with puppies chew. He is teething right now also so he needs things to chew on. I would get him some soup marrow bones from the pet store and other things that are not easily destroyed. He should never be left unsupervised if you kept a better eye one him he would not get into so much mischief. He could also be chewing because he is bored. You might trying getting him outside more and play with him so he will be tired.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:46 AM on Feb. 23, 2011