Where do I begin? (straighting my home)

Everywhere I look it looks messy I try to put things in it's place but some how it's there again...ugh!
I don't want to be a neat freak but atleast be organized I am not a hoarder r maybe I am but now Iam ready to let go...arg!!! it is sooooooooo overwhelming for me...ugh! I feel like I am drowning.....
Thank you ladies....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Pick one corner of one room and start there. Move clockwise around that room and put everything away. Anything that does not belongs is immediately put where it does belong.

As much as FlyLady bugs me, this really does work.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:00 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• http://flylady.com/

Click on "are you living in chaos" link. Good luck, this has really helped me.

Anonymous

• I tend to get overwhelmed having to just tidy up the whole house in one "nap time".. try picking one room.. or one half of one room a day! Do that room and then relax! You deserve to have some "you time"... Dont spend your whole day cleaning and stressing! A little at a time will get you there!
    kaitilala

Answer by kaitilala at 3:02 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Closets are the best place to start IMO. I LOVE organizing tote bins.

Once you get closets done, you will have a very clear idea in regards to the rest of your house. Regardless if your living room is cluttered or your bedroom, without closets being done where will you store things? =)

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 3:02 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Something else that works if you really want to purge your rooms, is to completely empty the contents of a room, then only put back in it the stuff that belongs there & that you actually really use. Everything else that's left will need to be gone through and be put where it really belongs, donated or trashed.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:02 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I also like to take an empty laundry basket into a room. Anything that doesn't belong in that room gets put in the laundry basket. Then I dust/vacuum/straighten the room.

Then take laundry basket and put everything in it's proper place in the right room.

Then I repeat for every room. Seems to make things go faster and I feel like I've accomplished something before I even start the cleaning bit.

Good luck!
    blu_canary

Answer by blu_canary at 3:04 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Yes, Flylady! Just don't sign up for the emails, they'll flood your inbox. You can see everything on the website instead.
    smurfyabs

Answer by smurfyabs at 3:09 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Once an hour go into one room and throw away eleven things. As soon as you throw away 11 things you can do something else. Next hour another room.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:14 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• My grandmother would tell you to start at the front door and go from there. lol I would say, though, that it's easier to get all the surfaces cleaned off first. That makes a big difference visually, and it won't look so messy(it's a stress-relief trick I use because I get overwhelmed easily when things are too messy).
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 3:43 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I once asked this question in a certain group and you would not believe the women who bashed me calling me a pig! so I'm glad to see people in this forum can be friendly and honest and give good advice. I have none and I'm just looking at the answers though and they are good ones!
    Anonymous