What is the hardest transition going from 1 to 2 children?

My son is 2 and a half and I'm 35 weeks pregnant now. I've heard the transition to two can be difficult but anymore you add after that is pretty easy. Let me know some of your experiences going from 1 to 2 or even 2 to 3 and so on!!

lovelyheaven271

Asked by lovelyheaven271 at 3:06 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would say the hardest part for me was getting to places on time. Having 2 kids wasn't hard it was just realized how long it took to get ready and get things done to get out the door. Once we got into a routine, and I knew more of how the day was going to do, it was was great. Adding number 3 was pretty much the same. I had to add another 20 minutes into getting ready to go somewhere. My kids are also very close in age so no one could do much for themselves so I had to individually get everybody ready. It is so nice now that my older two can dress themselves.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 3:36 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Im going on 2-3, I honestly did not worry about 1-2 kids. My son was wonderful and helped me a lot with his little brother.... I do remember times where I needed help peeling him off the floor at daycare while holding the baby carseat. Youll do just fine
    MelissaAnn224

Answer by MelissaAnn224 at 3:10 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• The only trouble I had going from one child to two was the being pulled in 2 different directions at the same time.... like the time my 4 year old got gum stuck, webbed through and around his fingers and I was in the middle of making a bottle for his crying baby brother. It's only a hard transition if you don't have help.
    Grandma2Eight

Answer by Grandma2Eight at 3:16 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• It was definitely a transition for me going from 1-2. My oldest is 4 and the baby is now 10 months. The getting used to the diaper bags, stroller, car seat, etc...and everything that goes along w/a newborn after not having any of that for so long (2 years) was an adjustment. Trying to give both equal amounts of time can be difficult (I am a single parent).
    It has easy days and days that aren't so smooth.Try to get a routine, it will help - although, once you have that down, it'll change. =)
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 3:34 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Coordinating nap times was the hardest part for me.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 6:16 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I didn't think the transition was that bad. The worst thing was that ds was not fully potty trained yet so it was double the diaper duty. we are ttc and i think the transition would be harder now than it was then because of the age difference.
    MomaWeeks

Answer by MomaWeeks at 8:54 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• For me, it was a breeze. Never felt I was going through a "transition" though because mine were farther apart in age.
    Anonymous