Safe Haven Law

How do you feel about it?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safe-haven_law

kaitilala

Asked by kaitilala at 3:20 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I'm not sure how much good it's doing, really. You hear stories every DAY about women leaving their infant in a garbage can, a toilet, or out in the woods, when they could have just as easily taken the baby to the fire station and given him up! And yes, these are in places where they have a Safe Haven law. Do these people not know about the Safe Haven laws? Do they just not care??? It really makes my blood boil to see these kinds of things happening almost daily when there are indeed alternatives.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 3:32 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I think it is good that there is another option. So many girls have babies without their parents having any clue and with this law, they can give their baby a good, safe life without worrying about who will find out
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 3:44 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I think they would be more effective if they were promoted more. I don't know about nationally, I can only speak for my city. But the only time people here ever hear about the safe haven laws is after a baby is found in a dumpster, and some random person they interview asks "i wonder why thy didn't use a safe haven". Then a bunch of locals write to the news station asking "what's this safe heaven that was mentioned on tuesdays story" so they run a 2 minute segment on the safe haven laws several days later. And then its never mentioned again until 5 years later when a baby shows up in a trash can. If the laws were actually known by the women who commit the crimes of abandonment, I believe they would be more effective. I was almost 21 by the time I even heard of the safe heaven laws for the first time, and I had my son at 18. I didn't abandon him, he's sitting on the floor as we speak, but at 18 I had NEVER heard of this.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 3:56 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• While I think the idea is a great one, I don't think it's as effective as it could be if it were...."promoted", for lack of a better word. If I had to guess, I'd say a vast majority of the mothers considering killing or dumping their babies aren't aware of the Safe Haven laws. That needs to be remedied.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 4:58 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• They need to be advertised more where I live. There may be many fire stations, police departments, and hospitals where I live, but since I have moved back to where I am, I havent heard anything on the safe haven law around here, and I have been back for a while now.
    chrisrmom

Answer by chrisrmom at 4:59 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• If this law can prevent one baby from being found in a trash can, or placed in harms way then I think it is worth it.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 6:13 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Although I think it is incredibly SAD that the parents would give up a child that has lived w/ them for a certain amount of time. (As in, NOT an infant), It is probably in the best interests of the child b/c anyone who could do that to their child and never look back is a terrible parent. Anyway, I think the law itself is a good idea. I am with the supporters. What I have to respond to the others is: What if the other parent was a child molester or abusive or not fit as a parent? Would they still be all for notifying the other parent?
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 7:20 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I think it's a great thing to have as an option for these babies. I don't think that everyone knows about it, I think it needs promotion. I agree that if it saves one baby from murder or abuse, then it has worked.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 11:21 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• It depends on the causes of the case or the circunstance.
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 12:00 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I think that it is a good law.
    dnna_g

Answer by dnna_g at 2:40 PM on Feb. 23, 2011