Have you ever thought of it like this?

So it's my understanding that Christians feel like they need to save the people around them, who do not believe as they do. They send missionaries to other countries to spread the word, and I have seen many posts on here saying that Jesus is coming, we need to save as many as we can before he gets here.

Well have you ever stopped to think that maybe those of us who don't believe, are trying to save you? Now here is my opinion, (and keep in mind it's my opinion and I'm entitled to have it). I feel like religion (all religion not just the Christian faith) is senseless indoctrination. I feel like by challenging your beliefs, I may help free your mind, which will allow you to think for yourself, instead of following what some ancient book is telling you to do. So do you want to be saved?

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 11:44 AM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Actually my mind is plenty free and open. I was born Catholic, raised Christian, turned to Wicca, then was Agnostic, and went to seminary school to get a better understanding of the bible. I learned how to read Hebrew and Arabic. I have heard and seen things many people might not understand. In fact I probably felt alot like you do now posing this question 10 years ago when I was 27 yrs old. The fact is after my many journeys through life and questioning it all I believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and believe that he can save us all. I am sorry if you dont understand that, or perhaps arent at a point where you do. Maybe you will never get there. But it wont take away that there are many many christians on this earth, who like me, have actually studied many religions, languages etc to get to where we are now.

Answer by gemgem at 11:49 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I am a Christian but I do not buy into organized religion. I feel religion is man made. I have of course experienced Christians who have "wittnessed" to me but nobody has really pressured me in many years.

As far as the bible goes, we only have the bible that has been translated and editted time. What we have left isn't anywhere near the original bible. I also feel much of the bible is alegorical not literal. Having said that, I do however feel the new testament is the best self-help book on the planet.

I also don't agree with sending missionaries to other countries because I feel their religion works for them in their enviornment. Their indiginious religions develop from their survival in that enviornment.

I don't think people who aren't Christians will go to Hell. The loving God I believe in dosen't think that way.
    pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 11:53 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Why are you reading posts in religion then? Why don't you just pass this auestion by? Do you ever wonder that the next person may decide to surrender their lives to the Lord?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• well I'm not christian but i like helping people i wouldn't call that saving them. this world is horrible with crime, etc... so if we could "save"/help people to make it a better world then by all means. no matter what your religion is everyone should help someone.
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 11:54 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I have been down many roads and the only road that seems to stay the same and has truth is Gods way. I do believe in missionary work because I have done it myself. My son wants to also be a missionary and feels its his calling in life. I might not always agree with my church or those that attend it, but I do believe in the fundamentals of what is taught. We are all free to choose to believe in Jesus or not to. No one is forcing anyone to do anything. That is the great thing about Free Will. We can take what we are told and taught and take it to heart, or dismiss it as a crock. For those who dismiss it I do believe God will deny them when they go before him to be judged. In this world we think there are shades of Gray, but there are not. Everything is Black and White. Take it or Leave it. Good or Bad. Wrong or Right.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• my2, kudos to you for not posting the qestion ANONYMOUSLY. you have every right ot ask questions regarding religions and to research religion. if more people did that, maybe they wouldn't get caught up in things related to their religion. one example is the molestatoin of children in the Catholic Church. the parents never questioned why the priest would want to spend so much time alone with their child because they were taught to never question a priest.

the religion section and groups are also informative. if anon wants to start a group for "people who are or who wish to be saved", then they can go for it.
    pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 12:03 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• most missionary work takes place in countries or areas where people are starving or opressed in some way. when people are starving the don't have allot of choices.

never forget, this is how hiter/the nazi's came into power. the people were poor and hungry. he offered a full belly.
    pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 12:06 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Yes, as a "recovering" christian, I see where you are coming from. I certainly don't go out of my way to try to shake people's beliefs that seem to make them happy. But I suspend that self-imposed rule when it comes to missionaries at my front door. I am more than willing to invite in the young Mormons or the Jehovah's Witness ladies who come to offer me their religion. I sit down with them and explain the path that led me to atheism, and the questions I have never had answered by any religion. I hope to make them think about all the religious choices people have, and to wonder how they can be so certain that theirs is the correct one!
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 12:29 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I do believe in god but I don't push stuff on people like you that is up to u to decide, even though I believe we should atleast include him in our lives, I am not a church goer like I could be but I feel as long as I live my life some what good I and my family will be fine. Just talk to him like he is there with you. You wouldn't be doing any harm to no one.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 12:48 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• i myself do not push religion on people but I try to live as comfortably as I can while trusting the Lord. No one is perfect and even though i read the bible and some understanding of the new testament i still question it sometimes. Maybe I'm off subject but i wanted to say that.
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 1:04 PM on Nov. 19, 2008