What are the roles of a God Parent?

Our couple friends announced that me and Eric are the God Parents of the unborn child. Last week we found out we are having a girl.
What are the roles of a God Parent?

kalynskorner

Asked by kalynskorner at 3:21 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• ~*Traditionally*~... the role of a God parent was to help guide/teach in a religous setting the beliefs of the family... however it has over the years been reduced to "who gets the kids when we die" not much in society hasn't changed, so it means whatever you want it to
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 3:28 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• You are going to be the God Parents to a girl? Or you're having a girl?
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 3:25 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Depends. If it's a religious Godparent, then you're responsible for the "spiritual development" of the child. Secularly, it might be that you would have custody if they died. Ask them to be certain what they mean by it.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:25 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• talk to them about their meaning behind it.

in my house, it has nothing to do with who will get my kids if i die. if both my husband and i were to perish, my parents would obviously get them. i would not leave them with anyone else. the people i chose for their Godparents, are two people who have always been there for me, from highschool, during my pregnancies, and then for my children once they were born. it is more about honor & giving them a title of a well-respected individual. and it also has religious ties behind it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:59 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• To us, it is someone who is very special to us, and are to aid in the decision of religion for the child. Meaning, to help my child learn about whichever religion they choose, if they choose one. It's hard to express it in words, so I hope it makes sense here.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:22 PM on Feb. 22, 2011