My 5 year old daughter and i both got our ears pierced at the piercing pagoda on saturday. they talked us into gold earings but my ears are bothering me. is it just healing or is something wrong. by the way, these are my second holes.

should i have gotten surgical steel instead??

ciancia

Asked by ciancia at 3:24 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Health

• I would have gone with the surgical steel, but I have allergies to nickel and can usually only wear the sensitive kind of earrings. Are they itchy or swelling up or hurting or what?
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 3:27 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Have your doc take a look. I am assuming that they gave you cleaning protocol to stave off infection. If not, please use some rubbing alcohol..
    Also, second holes can sometimes be through cartilage, which smarts a little more.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:30 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• they dont itch but are sensitive. the earings i got are white gold. they girl said that ppl usually pierce with gold but i should have realized that just meant spending more money and what she was trying to do. my left ear is very sore it looks okay but is sore. it didnt hurt when they did it but it hurts now. in my experience with my original holes, very cheap earings would bother my ears but not gold.
    ciancia

Comment by ciancia (original poster) at 3:33 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Try cleaning them very often. My daughter just got a second piercing. She was sensitive on one side but ok on the other. I told her to clean them every 2 hours this weekend. By Sunday afternoon, she told me it was better. I would check also if the backing has any nickel in it, (Sometimes the backing has nickel in it and will affect the ear) I would call them and check. And change the backing with one that has not bothered you. Good luck!
    brancoj

Answer by brancoj at 7:50 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• when i got mine pierced, i ended up being allergic to the cleaning salution that they gave me...i stopped using it and no problem since.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 11:40 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• The gold was a good choice. Are you cleaning the area twice a day with methylated spirits? Or a special solution provided by the company?
    MLM247

Answer by MLM247 at 11:57 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• use alcohol when cleaning them and see what that does
    chrisrmom

Answer by chrisrmom at 1:39 AM on Feb. 23, 2011