How far back can you trace your American lineage?

We have our family tree on my mother's side going back to when two brothers named Thomas and Edward Slawson came to America in 1643 from England.

How far back can you trace yours?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 3:39 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I went back to the 1500's with my Mother's side of her family in Scotland. Odd, but I'm having more problems w/my Dad's side and most of his family were born in the good ole USA. I found it very interesting to find all I did though, and passed all the info to my kids and brother and sister in Memory Books.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 11:50 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Early 1700s.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:39 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I can get one line back to the 1600's with a Cherokee tribe.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:43 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I don't know exact dates or generations but on my mother's side can be traced back to the Civil War and I believe even earlier. I have ancestors whose names are engraved on monuments at Gettysburg which I think is pretty cool! My father's side started in America with my great-grandparents so as far as American lineage, that's easy lol.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 3:43 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I'm told we have the family history on my grandfathers side back really far as well, but his family came here through Ellis Island from Germany, so they haven't been here in America that long. I'd like to see the European family tree and history sometime.
    IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 3:44 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• jessicarae787, that is so cool! You can actually go and see the names of your ancestors carved on a monument!
    IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 3:46 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• My mom's side goes back before revolutionary war I belive. My dad's are only to my great grandparents as well.
    almightycookie

Answer by almightycookie at 3:54 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• On one side of hubby's family - they know the name of the boat that brought them over from Holland.
    My side of the family - my mother traced us back beyond the revolutionary era.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:57 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• my dads side can be traced back to at lease the civil was, but i know there were Carroll's on the ships that Columbus brought with him but i am not sure if they are related or not.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 11:51 PM on Feb. 22, 2011