Does anyone else hate the term birthing coach?

sorry but childbirth isn't something to be coached through. what do coaches do, they tell you what to do. and especially not to be "coached" by someone who's never done this and never will since it's usually the father. it's a degrading term, like we need to be coached cause we can't handle it. i think moral support is just more appropriate and i'm coining the term and i hope everyone will pass it along. he's not my birthing coach. he's my moral support

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in

• yes i dont like the term
    kalynskorner

Answer by kalynskorner at 3:48 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• coaches dont tell you what to do per-se, they direct you and give you the instructions needed to do something. birthing coaches are moral supporters, they are there to be your cheerleaders basically, but at the same time, not just to cheer you on, but to help instruct you through the birthing process (proper breathing techniques, body positions, etc) all of it boiling down to moral support. my mom was my birthing coach for all 3 of my babies and she had done it herself so she did know what she was talking about. my husband was deployed for 2 of our daughters so he couldnt be there, but i know if he had been there he would not have known what the hell to do. anyways.. i dont think there is anything wrong with this term. it is the correct term to describe the person who helps you through labor.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:52 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• do you hear yourself. they instruct you? it's not something to be instructed. women can breathe and move into positions just fine on their own without having someone to instruct them. this is the crap that's been molded into peoples heads. that women need to be instructed and cheered on. we don't need to be cheered on either. it's a biological process our body goes though on it's own. you don't need cheering for that.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:02 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I find the whole idea of needing a coach - or whatever you want to call it - when you are in the process of child birth completely ridiculous. I didn't want any more people hanging out in the room with me while I was spread out than need be.  For me that was a very private time, and I would not welcome anyone other than my husband in with me.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:16 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

whoa, take a fucking chill pill. do you think 14-16 year old teen moms know a damn thing about labor/delivery? some people NEED a support system in the delivery room. you might be mighty woman but not all of us are. if i hadnt had my mom there helping me, i would have suffered a hell of a lot more. just having her in the room with me was comforting. it was my first time giving birth, inside a hospital with nurses poking/prodding at me every 5 minutes. whatever was programmed in me obviously failed.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:46 PM on Feb. 22, 2011