Talking with social worker about sons anger issue.

A few weeks ago I posted about our son and his anger issues. How he can't seem to control himself when he gets so mad. He says very mean things to whoever he is mad at or about himself and it takes awhile to calm down. When this happens were not sure how to handle it. We tell him its ok to be mad but to not treat people that way even if they make you mad.

So I did contact his teacher for some direction on who we should talk to, she did respond and is giving us the social workers email address.

I am kind of nervous and scared now because when he isn't mad he is a normal kid, his teacher had no idea and was surprised. I don't know if were over reacting or not but I guess its good to talk to someone to find our right?

We have only told my mom were talking to someone about this, just don't want anyone to have any judgements against him, does that make sense?

Uugghh....being a parent is sooo hard. Its so hard to see him so upset, it just breaks my heart.

choco_mom

Asked by choco_mom at 3:53 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• You are doing the right thing. Nobody else has to know that you guys are working on things. Anger Management, by the way, is soooooo much easier for a kid to learn than an adult. It can only help him.

:)
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:56 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I think you're doing the right thing, too. You are his Mama and you know if his anger is over the top so trust your gut. It's inspiring that you are courageous enough to seek help to get this problem under control. ImaginationMama made a great point that it is better to deal with this anger issue now than when he is older and the problem has gotten worse.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:00 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I go in to anger rages that are hard to calm down from. It's like a switch flips and I can't stop until I get it all out of my system. I've learned what triggers me and steer clear of those triggers. Your son can learn too. It will make life easier. Humor and walking away are my two best coping skills. If those fail then watch out world!

Answer by admckenzie at 4:03 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Thanks for the support, I really appreciate it.
    choco_mom

Comment by choco_mom (original poster) at 4:04 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• i so know what you are going through. my son has anger issues as well and have questioned anger management or some kind of therapy to try to cope with his anger, i so hope it works out for you.
    MomaWeeks

Answer by MomaWeeks at 8:51 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• You are doing the right thing, getting your child help. My son had to see a social worker for anger management when he was about 7 years old and again at 10 years old and it really helped him.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:00 PM on Feb. 22, 2011