Whats "bad" about being a Southern baptist?

We recently started going to church. It happens to be a S. Baptist church. Even the preacher made a joke about "just dont tell them we are southern baptist". me & my dh didnt get the joke -- But the church about fell down with laughter!

The church is very outgoing. loving. They preach we all are sinners & no one is perfect. You should be born again (but they dont pound it into ur head every sunday!)...
There is no "crazy stuff" going on like speaking in tongues. falling down. We sing. We sit & listen to his sermon. and on occasion there will be an alter calling so people who feel the need can come to the front of the church & praythey can.. But its NOT dramatic screaming crying at all or anything.. U go to the front. Kneel. Pray. Return to seat (maybe in tears).

So whats wrong with all this Southern Baptist being bad?! LOL...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:55 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• stereotypes, hypocrites, racists, and all the other ugly-spirited words used here in this thread to describe SB can also be used to describe any church, any religion, or even those without a religion. there are conservative and liberal members of any congregation or denomination..yay, even the Catholic church has its extremes.
    the bottom line is, OP, if you are curious as to what the actual core beliefs of the SBC is, you should look up the website, and read it fully. your church also has mission statements of faith you can read. the information is out there, research it and come to your own conclusion. (obviously, there's a lot of bitter people online today! where's all the tolerance everyone preaches in this section? i'm not seeing it.)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:05 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Because many "Southern" Baptist churches are close minded, extreme conservative, hatred spouting, bigots.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:00 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Southern Baptists have a stereotype to some of what twinsplus2more described. However, this is NOT accurate of most Southern Baptists just like any other stereotype is not right most of the time. People who promote stereotypes are the ones who are "close minded, hatred spouting, bigots" - don't worry, there's nothing wrong at all with being Southern Baptist. (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:09 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• For the same reason some people hate to hear "Mormon" or "Catholic". People have heard of those who take it to extremes. Being Southern Baptist doesn't mean you're crazy any more than being Mormon means you're a polygamist or being Catholic means you're a child molester.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:24 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• There's the fundamentalist aspect of taking the bible as literal word that bothers many people. This includes creationism, young earth, opposing evolution, the great flood, and other stories that don't agree with modern day science. This wouldn't be so criticized if the So. Baptists weren't so heavily involved in politics and communities/schools in the South.

I've known quite a few over the years, and some were hypocrites and others not.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:32 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I don't believe in denominations, but my grandparents were Southern Baptists and more loving people I have never known. They were always the first to help out if anyone was in trouble (despite race, sexuality, etc...). They would give you the shirt off their back and never judged anyone.
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 6:25 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• There is a stereotype that all Southerners are stupid, lazy, dimwitted, conservative racists. We only hear about the terrible things to come from that part of the country.

Tell us more of the good.
    SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 4:02 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• It may not necessarily be bad. My in laws are Southern Baptists (with one Taoist and one atheist son), and they are generally pretty tolerant and nice people. My MIL's family were missionaries who were also Southern Baptist but quite different (or they thought they were) from my FIL. They were very emotionally and physically abusive of my MIL growing up and generally sound like hateful, abusive, intolerant, judgmental people (at least if your views are different from theirs in any way--even other BAPTISTS) based on some of the stories I've heard about them from my DH and BIL. I'm grateful that my MIL and FIL are relatively laid back considering their upbringing and some of their fellow church members are not so accepting of differences and judge a lot. It really just depends on the individuals, but people often get connotations in their head based on their experiences with groups of people.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:59 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I was raised Southern Baptist and most of my family is Southern Baptist. I've met great people who are Southern Baptist, and I've met ignorant, intolerant, hell fire and brimstone-preaching Southern Baptists. I've been to some very wonderful Southern Baptist churches, and I've visited churches that I can't even comment on without getting upset. There is a stigma of being Southern Baptist, I think mostly because people have had really bad experiences in some of the churches (I'm one of them), but just like any stigma, it isn't 100% true but it does originate from history of "in-house" fighting over control of the church, being busy bodies, a lack of empathy for those unlike themselves, and also racism and bigotry. These negative aspects of the SB church are still predominant in the Bible Belt.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 6:21 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• My DH used to attend a SB church (I'm Pentecostal, btw. Yep, one of those crazy tongue-talkers! lol). I called his church the "Frozen Chosen" lol. They sang the same 5 songs every week, they offered nothing for children, the pastor gave pretty much the same message on salvation every week...you could literally set your watch by them--it never changed. I know this isn't typical of SB. We're just from a small town and that church was an "old folks" church.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 1:43 AM on Feb. 23, 2011