jar food/homemade baby food

How early can you feed baby jar food/homemade baby food?

Does anyone make their own? If so, what's your technique?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Six months is usually when you start. I didnt make my own but my cousing tried. Shes a very healthy and organic person but said it was WAY too time consuming. She just put it all in a food processor though. She would up switching to Earths Best Organic Infant and Toddler food. You can start fruit a little earlier though! :)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 12:31 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• At 4 months I started a bit of earth's best or some baby cereal, about once a day. now at 7 months he has 2-3 baby foods per day and 2-3 breast fed meals! I would like to make my own food but not sure how! The easiest is a banana in a food processor. Sometimes I put a small portion of the veggies we eat in the processor so he can have the same thing we're having! But usually it's earths best rice cereal and jarred foods! Every few months i integrate another meal and take away another breastfeeding time. After he's one year I will be only breastfeeding at night to go to bed, that's the plan atleast!
    Monnek

Answer by Monnek at 1:48 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I made my own baby food and started feeding it to them (fruits & veggies) at about 3 months and meat at 6 months. They ate whatever we did I just put it in the blender with a little formula or milk.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 2:05 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I started my dd on foods at 3 1/2 months,I made my own food for a little bit but started to realize it really didn't save much money in the long run. There is a website call wholesomebabyfoods.com that gives you all the different food that go well together, how to prepare them,store it and things to watch out for ect. Oh...and my daughter didn't take to well to the taste/texture of homemade either.
    RedneckMommy88

Answer by RedneckMommy88 at 2:34 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I started my children on babyfood at six months. I did homemade. It isn't difficult or all that time consuming. You can google homemade baby food recipes. There's also a homemade babyfood group here on CafeMom.

Some fruits need to be cooked before being made into babyfood. Like apples and pears. Bananas and avacados are soft enough to just run through a food processor. I used to make batches of babyfood and freeze them in ice cube trays covered with plastic. One ice cube is about a serving size. After they were frozen I moved them to a freezer bag labeled with the name and date.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 6:54 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I just remembered, for some foods you will need to add water, preferably the water it was cooked in, to thin the baby food enough for an early eater. By using the water the food was cooked in you retain more of the vitamins and minerals that were lost during the cooking process.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 6:56 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I waited until my kids were showing the biggest sign of readiness ... grabbing food off my plate and trying to get it to their mouths. I never did store bought or even purreed food. I took a banana or an avocado, cut it into pieces, put it on their tray and let them figure it out. I figured that if they were ready, they'd figure it out, and if not they'd have a lot of fun painting themselves with the food. I didn't have one not figure it out. Interestingly, all of my kids could handle their own spoons before they were a year, and I never spoon fed them or really rushed the solids.
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 10:17 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I make my own baby food. Check this website out. http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com
    Jesenka

Answer by Jesenka at 11:26 PM on Nov. 20, 2008