My glucose test is thursday morning..

do i eat what i normally eat for breakfast?
my biopsy is also that day, wish me luck!

xLeeAnnex

Asked by xLeeAnnex at 4:05 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I just did my 1 hour glucose test about 1 1/2 weeks ago and for the 1 hour test you do NOT have to fast, they just ask that you do not eat a lot of sugars or drink a lot of caffeine. Good luck!
    PrdWifeNMom07

Answer by PrdWifeNMom07 at 1:01 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Call and ask. I remember not eating that morning.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:07 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• i do not think you have to fast with the 1 hour glucose test. i think you only have to fast with the 3 hour glucose test in the case that you didnt pass the 1 hour. but you should definitely call and make sure.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:08 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Good luck! If it is an A1C test I would say eat normally. Though I usally get A1C and cholesterol tests at the same time so I dont eat for 14 hours. But I once got an A1C test right after lunch so...
    almightycookie

Answer by almightycookie at 4:08 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I had mine a couple weeks ago. Mine was early in the morning so i just didn't eat anything and only drank water but my midwife said I could eat eggs if it were going to be 2 hours before the test.
    lovelyheaven271

Answer by lovelyheaven271 at 4:17 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• they told me i cant eat anything for 8 hours before you take the test. here in sacramento they just have the 3 hour test now instead of 1 hour and a possibility of the 3 hour one, but on my paper work it says fast or dont fast and they checked the fast one. maybe you have paperwork that you have to bring in. you can look at that
    djsmommy13

Answer by djsmommy13 at 4:25 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I had four glucose tests done, one for each baby, and did not have to fast until after i drank that liquid......waited an hour to get blood drawn..........good luck with your biopsy.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 5:08 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I didn't fast when I had mine and passed. Good Luck!!
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 12:30 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• to be able to get an accurate reading..in case you are borderline GD you should fast for at least 8 hours before your glucose test especially if you have any possibility at all of GD(gestational diabetes) i fasted for my 3 hour test and still was over 150 the whole time...eating can actually cause a false positive on your glucose test..the ones who ate and still tested negative for GD were lucky because it can have a lot to do with your results which is why most doctors will tell you to not eat or drink anything after midnight...but water is okay no matter what they say to you...which is good cuz you will really get thirsty between midnight and the time you have your test..water has nothing in it that will effect the results but gum will so dont chew that either..i would just take every precaution to get an accurate result
    ahsot1230

Answer by ahsot1230 at 1:06 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I just had the test last week. I didn't eat anything because it was so early in the morning and I was running late and the nurse kinda lectured me about it. The stuff is super gross and made me sick and really dizzy.. I ended up seeing spots between drinking that crap, getting blood drawn, and getting another shot. The nurse said I should have eaten so I assume youre allowed to eat before the test? As long as you don't during the test.
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 1:40 AM on Feb. 23, 2011