Why Are we just standing by?

So Its okay for the USA to invade Iraq for the purpose of giving the Iraqi's "democracy" and ridding sudam hussein, but when Lybia tries to rid themselves of their dictator Muammar al-Gaddafi we're just going to stand by and watch Libya destroy itself? Way to go America, that's not being a hypocrite at all!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• We had other reasons for Iraq. I am sure that we don't know the half of it.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:15 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Not to mention if we go into Libya we would hear alot of crying about how we should not be there. So damned if you do and damned if you dont.

Answer by gemgem at 4:18 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I still don't get why we have any say over how Iraq runs their government.
    Anonymous

• if that were the case, we would never stop invading.....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 4:20 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I agree with all these responses.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:28 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• do you know what being a hipocrit is? it means doing something you told someone else not to do. so no, it isn't hirpcirtical
    caljones

Answer by caljones at 4:36 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• GWB etc invaded Iraq for access to oil more than for democracy. There was no plan in place for post-invasion government except for promoting Chelabi who turned out to be a crook and was despised by other Iraqi leaders . The US has no legal right to invade Libya except under a UN mandate to participate in a UN intervention.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 4:46 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Good grief Janet. We didn't go to Iraq for oil ~ nor did we 'invade' it. There was never an end to the Iraqi war, only a cease fire, and that was contingent on Saddam following through with the agreement. He signed it, he thumbed his nose at us and every other country for years, he tortured his people AND deprived them, and we OWED them. We made them a promise at the end of the Gulf war and reneged on it to make the UN happy. We also were responsible for much of what Saddam was capable of doing to his people. He was an abusive creep to start with, but we armed him. He was the big baddie sitting over there chanting 'come get me' ... so we did.

If we went there for oil ... someone forgot to pick it up.

Some of the posts I see on here about Iraq ... well, it sounds as though there are people who were seriously emotionally attached to old Saddam (or maybe just media lies).
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 5:19 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• cont. I would imagine (to answer the actual question) that we aren't going to do anything BUT stand by as far as Lybia is concerned. Half the country would cheerfully go in there and stomp one side or the other, and the other side would continue its' anti-war chant.

Considering we have soldiers coming back and being jeered and heckled by young (and very dumb/idealistic) brats who haven't faced any hardship or sacrifice greater than running out of hair gel ~ and as a military mom/spouse ~ I don't want to see my boy sent anywhere else he is in danger OR put up with any more crud from spoiled/unappreciative civvies.

gemgem called it ... damned if we do, damned if we don't. I think we've wasted enough lives, money, and time. Let them all blow each other up and when the dust settles we can print new maps.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 5:25 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Farmlady, I think you ahd I agree about Libya, maybe for different reasons . There are other brutal and nasty regimes in the world apart from Saddam Hussein's Iraq which the US would not intervene in or would have any intention of doing . I am not about to rehash Iraq but I will say i wonder if it was worth the many thousands of lives it cost. let alone the $ , billions of which were never accounted for . The country is still in a mess , Iraqis are still paying for it with their lives . As for brats, here, if they jeered and heckled Canadian soldiers returning from Afghanistan , they would likely have all hell beaten out of them by bystanders . i don't think it is anything to do with idealism, just appalling ignorance and disrespect.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 5:55 PM on Feb. 22, 2011