Hand me downs/ salvation army adult content

according to newcomers if you cannot afford brand new clothes for your kid then you cannot afford to have a child? What do you think about that?

I think its a load of sh** my son is 3 and he grows out of clothes like no other i see no point in buying brand new clothes every other month if i can save a couple of bucks going to salvation army i will do so.. until he at least stops his growth spurts. I don't think there is anything wrong with it what so ever. ***im not saying you buy ALL your items from there, becuase i don't neither. I bought jeans/pants because that is what he grows out of the most.** & if you do.. that is fine to i love that store so either way. Kudos :P Newcomers group actually pisses me off to be honest. I been on this site for 4 years and its  nothing like it use to be.

What do you say?

Evilfelly07

Asked by Evilfelly07 at 4:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• I love garage sales, resale shops, I don't really like the SA or Goodwill, it seem expensive when at some garage sales, you can get a whole box of clothes for $10.00. My kids wear a combination of new, garage sale and hand me downs, you would never know it to look at my kids. I have been doing it for so long I know what to look for as far as quality. They could have all new clothes, but I do think it is a waste of money for how fast they grow. But too each their own.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 5:20 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• What is the big deal if they are new or 2nd hand? There are some really great second hand stores that have barely used clothes. Why pay the extra money?
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:24 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Totally agree...we get garage sale clothes and salvation army. Some stuff is new too, just depends but your right they grow too fast and my son wears the knees out of all his pants so darn fast!
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 4:27 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I agree. However, I still buy new (most of the time) clothes for my son, but I just don't spend a whole lot of money on an outfit for him. Unfortunately the clothes at the SA here are horrible.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 4:26 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I see absolutely NOTHING wrong with getting used clothes for babies. They grow out of them so fast, they really are barely used by the time they get sold/donated anyway. I've gotten clothes off Ebay for my son, and I saved his clothes for when I'm having a second boy in about 2 months. Sure, I'll get him some new stuff too, if I see anything cute, but nothing wrong with gently used, either!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:27 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• The problem is when children are not appropriately clothed at all. I couldn't care less where the clothes come from. Save your money for when they're older and WON'T wear 2nd hand clothes. :)
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 4:30 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• who cares if they are second hand or brand new. It is hard enough to keep a 3 and 2 year old in clothes in the first place because they grow so fast. I usually buy clothes the next size up that they should be in anyway so I am not buying clothes every other day for them.
    chrisrmom

Answer by chrisrmom at 4:52 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• MY KIDS WEAR MAINLY NEW BUT I DO SHOP AT THE SALVATION ARMY TOO CUZ U DO FIND NICE THANGS AND SO DOES MY 14YR AND ALOT OF OTHERS I NO
    kai302

Answer by kai302 at 4:31 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I love kids consighnement shops ect. I don't buy anything that looks old and yucky but I buy used stuff all the time. I bet no one knows it looking at my kids either.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 4:32 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Clothes at our SA are terrible so for me it isnt an option. When I was much younger though I would take hand me downs from other moms or friends and didnt have a problem with that. At the point I am right now in life it isnt something I have to consider. My kids get all new clothes now, but it wasnt always that way.
    I do think some new clothes should always be bought though. I never did 100% used clothes for any of my kids.

Answer by gemgem at 4:37 PM on Feb. 22, 2011