Washing my little girl's privates?

I have a three year old little girl who every time she's in the bath and I go to wash her "private parts" she says it tickles and tightens her legs together as close as she can get them.
I'm so worried about her not getting it clean that we either fight until she starts crying about it or I let her do it herself. The only problem is that I'm afraid she's not cleaning it well enough down there, she gives it a quick surface wipe and that's pretty much it.

I don't want to make her feel uncomfortable with it "tickling" and all, so what should I do. It's virtually impossible to help her clean it, but I don't want her to get infected with her not cleaning it well enough.
( And just to add this, my husband thinks that it's something I'm just "supposed" to know because I'm a woman and we so happen to have two little girls. Lucky me. )
Thanks for all your help.

harleybeepers

Asked by harleybeepers at 11:59 AM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have 2 girls and never really had to worry about cleaning them really well down there. Mostly what you need to do is make sure if youre giving a bath that its a bubble bath that wont give her an infection. Some bubbles do that by themselves. And I know this sounds silly but give her the washcoth and tell her to clean herself and you might have to have a second one and just show her sorta how to do it while your out of the tub. At 3 she should be able to clean herself if you show her.

Answer by gemgem at 12:03 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• That is good she wants to do it herself but also you might want to say you clean it first then mommy will do the last part of the cleaning and she will look at it like a game. It probably tickles her because no one touches (meaning like dabbing it with a tissue when she pees) that part she need to get used to it. Girls are so cute my daughter was the same way now she knows we need to wash that part. I just tell her mommy wants to bathe u real quick so let's hurry up and I just kind of go with the flow before you know it we're done sing songs with her like this the way we wash our (whatever you want to name it) she will like that.
    Do it washing her hair and so on.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 12:13 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• That is all she needs is a "surface clean" as long as she is cleaning the outside the inside will stay clean. My daughter cleans herself down there at 3 and she has never had an infection except for when my mother gave her a bubble bath.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:07 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I agree - a "surface clean" is all she needs.
    Skip bubble baths and any scented bath products. Let her wash herself. She'll be fine.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:17 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I think a quick wipe a day is fine. I still sues wipes on my 2 yr old and there is no need to scrub, it cleanes easily. I think you are a little to worried. Kids can get infections even if they are clean, lots of soaps and stuff that are not rinsed well cause infections. Plain clear water will clean teh area just fine.
    LoganAndKennedy

Answer by LoganAndKennedy at 3:59 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I wouldn't really worry about not getting her clean enough. Just being in the soapy water should be sufficient. You could try having her do it herself if you're really worried about it. Just show her how and tell her that's what big girls do.
    roxy0318

Answer by roxy0318 at 1:00 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I understand were your comming from becuase im a very very clean person but i show her how to clean her "popee" and as long as she soaking in the bubbles she should be fine.
    HotMoma26

Answer by HotMoma26 at 10:34 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• the vagina is a self cleaning organ. she will be fine.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 12:54 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I have a 4 year old and just recently she started saying that it "tickles" when i wash her but she doesnt get mad. I wouldnt worry about her not getting clean enough, as she sits in the tub the water is washing away germs, DO NOT rely on a bubble bath to get her clean as a pp put, the bubbles can cause an infection, and actually my pediatrician said to not let my girls sit in a bubble bath for too long because of that reason. Let her wash herself, if she gets used to the "tickle" she may let you wash her again, just ask her often about signs of a bladder infection or a UTI, like burning while peeing and pains in her kidney area. She should be fine.
    Mommy_of_two_85

Answer by Mommy_of_two_85 at 12:55 PM on Nov. 22, 2008