Wi passes a bill..... Aimed at missing Dems

I just have the details no link but apparently.... If a senate member miss two days or more of session their checks will no longer be direct deposited they will have to pick them up in person from the majority leader.

Opinions? My thought is they shouldn't be getting a check at all.

Updated with actual story/link

MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- State senators who miss two or more session days will no longer get paid through direct deposit. They'll have to pick up their checks in person on the Senate floor during a session.

The new rule is aimed at forcing the return of 14 Senate Democrats who have been hiding in Illinois since Thursday. They fled the state to stall a vote on an anti-union bill, and have threatened to stay away until Republican Gov. Scott Walker agrees to compromise.

Tuesday's vote was along party lines. The three Republicans on the Committee on Senate Organization voted for it and the two Democrats opposed it.

The measure applies to paychecks, per diem checks, and any expense reimbursements. The absent senators will have to collect their checks from the Senate majority leader.

http://www.wsaw.com/home/headlines/Paychecks_to_be_Withheld_from_Absent_Wis_Senators_116682574.html

Charis76

Asked by Charis76 at 4:40 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think they shouldnt be paid at all. I think they should be treated just like anyone else in the world who walks out on the job. Fired.

Answer by gemgem at 4:42 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• The foolishness continues . They all, I repeat all, need to sit down and to some negotiating to bring an end to this mess
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 4:52 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I agree with Gem....you walk you, you're DONE!
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 4:56 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Oooops....that "you" after "walk" snuck in. Bad fingers, bad bad bad fingers!
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 4:58 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• LOL, I love it.

While I agree with gemgem, they are elected officials and put in office by the constituency of their districts. I would rather say that if they are unwilling to perform their job that a special election should take place to replace them with someone willing to do the job. If they come back before the special election can take place then they should be fined for whatever it cost the taxpayers for them to be absent and hold up the business of their State's government.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:02 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• The fact is they stomped off deliberately because regardless of what they want, unless the pubs agree to it they aren't going to get it ~ and they decided that if they can't get their way they won't let anything get done. Just because they were elected shouldn't protect them from the consequences imo. If an hourly, or even a salaried worker pulled something like this, they would have a pink slip and a packed box waiting when they returned. The fact that they were elected because people trusted them to work in their best interest should carry a higher penalty.

Pbthhh. I'd fire them and haul them down to main street and stick them in some old fashioned public stocks ... with baskets of rotten eggs and gooey tomatoes nearby. I just don't have any respect for an adult that acts like this. They should be ashamed, but they will come back beligerent and whining ... and there are fools who would vote for them again.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 5:11 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I totally agree with gem. If you walked out on your job, you would be fired and I don't think they are any better than the average American. When they come to pick up that check, there should be a pink slip in the envelope instead.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 5:18 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• LOL!!

clapping

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:41 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Last time I checked some people are where they need to be....... kind of hard to sit down with people who aren't there.
    Charis76

Comment by Charis76 (original poster) at 5:42 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• LOL good one but I'm pretty sure they have plenty of money
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:53 PM on Feb. 22, 2011