True or false?

"labor & delivery is not something to be instructed. women can breathe and move into positions just fine on their own without having someone to instruct them. this is the crap that's been molded into peoples heads. that women need to be instructed and cheered on. we don't need to be cheered on either. it's a biological process our body goes though on it's own. you don't need cheering for that."

this is from another post about birthing coaches. not my answer, but curious how many people agreed with this.

in my own experience, and ive had 3 children, i needed support in the delivery room with all of them. my mom was my support person, or, "birthing coach" if you will. more power to those of you who dont need any support in the delivery room, though.

i honestly think young, teen mothers would find that statement false. and a lot of first time mothers, regardless of age.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 4:52 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Relationships

• women *can* do it alone. doesn't mean they should do it alone. i enjoyed my doctor telling me what to expect. i enjoyed having my husband there talking me out of killing everyone in the room. i enjoyed that the nurses kept him grounded throughout the process.

regardless, women can also bleed to death afterwards. it's nice to have someone there in case something does go wrong.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 4:55 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• i should add........ true. that statement is true.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 5:00 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• yeah, wondered about that :)
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 5:04 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I agree with mellypoo, women can do it alone, but shouldn't have to. No one had to tell you, when you feel the need to push, push. Or alright, here's a contraction, that means push, it's instinctual. With that said, women still need the support. We want that support from our s/o or mom, or whoever. We want to know that we don't have to do it alone.
    My dh was in the room with both kids, he was never much help, but I was just happy knowing that he was there.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 5:04 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• wondered why it was in relationships I mean
    ItsMe89

• My first son was born the month before I turned 19. I was in labor from Friday through Tuesday. I was petrified. I was adopted so my mother had never given birth. My mil had seven kids, but she didn't share with me what was going to happen. I would have loved to have a class, a support. Number two was a breeze he was born late at night and I went home the next day. Knowledge and knowing how to control your body was such a help.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:08 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I would put this down as a Need vs. Want.

Obviously women have been giving birth for 1000s of years without a coach or even a doctor. But like Mellypoo said, there's a risk to it, and childbirth used to be the #1 killer of women.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:11 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I needed support and the nurses were amazing in teaching me how to make it easier on me. The more we learn the more we can pass on to others. Too many women watch tv and think it's a horrible thing and they will scream through it all. That's just nonsense if they have help & support by real people who know what they are talking about

Answer by admckenzie at 5:12 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Technically, true, but while coaching might not be 100% necessary, it's always a good idea. Support is never a bad thing. Like another mom said, women have been giving birth for thousands of years.
    IrishPennMom

Answer by IrishPennMom at 5:17 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• All my babies were scheduled c-sections but if I could have had them natually I would just want DH there for support and of course medical staff in case they are needed. I wouldn't actually want someone "coaching" me unless I really needed it.
    HKing01

Answer by HKing01 at 5:56 PM on Feb. 22, 2011