Baby not taking paci...

Ok I know there are moms on here who dont like the paci...I am NOT one of them....so I dont want to hear...just dont give her one. I think there are huge benefits from using them.

She is 3 weeks old and will take it once in a while for short periods.

My other two kids took it immediately and fell in love with it...lol.

Is there hope....will she learn to like it more as she gets a bit bigger?

Any tips on helping her like it more?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Some kids just never like it. One of mine loved it. The other 2 never took it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:54 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• ok, i can understand where you are coming from. however, her liking one from birth and getting attached to it is one thing. but why would you want her to use it if she doesnt want to? one less habit to break later on. idk, i guess offer it to her more if you really want her to take it that bad...
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:55 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Try some different kinds, it might just be the shape of the nipple that she doesn't like. If you are BF, there are some that are suppose to be shaped more like mommy, if you aren't BF, try the ones like her bottle. My son used the ones for BF babies and did great, my dd only wanted the ones lime her bottle since I couldnt BF her.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 4:57 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Mine never took one for more than a few seconds either. When she realized she couldn't get any milk out of it she spit it out! lol She's now almost 9 months old, and even though I'd over her one occasionally she never took to it. All children are different though so who knows, maybe yours will.
    mollyj96

Answer by mollyj96 at 4:59 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I have 4 boys and only one of mine ever took one. With my first 2, i didnt even try to give one....i used to be one of those moms who swore i would NEVER use a paci with my children....LOL.....well, with my 3rd son, he would have been on my boobs 24/7 if i let him so i almost had to use a paci. With my last son, he took it for a litle while until he was about 6months then stopped. I would sometimes have to hold it in his mouth for a minute before he would accept it.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 4:59 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• but why would you want her to use it i

#1...she is trying to stick her fingers in her mouth...I would much rather have a paci sucker than a finger sucker...easier to break and cleaner

#2 Its been proven to help SIDS

#3 I will be on the go a lot with this baby and would like a way to calm her for a bit if I need to. Probably while riding in the car.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:00 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Oh yes thank you team...that reminds me of

#4 She wants to nurse all day long!!!! I would like something to keep her occupied and give my nipples a break!!!
    Anonymous

• Some babies just don't take to it. I tried to give it to my 3 month old to help with breastfeeding. He wanted to eat every hour and then stay on for an hour at a time...It was recommeded to me to try the paci...he never would take it, and I ended up at 3 weeks switching to formula =(

Good luck!
    RNC2005

Answer by RNC2005 at 5:01 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• FYI - they all stick their fingers in their mouths!! I'm w/tnm786. Don't force her...if she doesn't like it, she doesn't like it. One less thing to break her of later on.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 5:01 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• My first two did not stick their fingers in their mouths...every...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:02 PM on Feb. 22, 2011