i just started pumping my breast milk to give myself a break, i'm not sure how much milk my 3 1/2 month old should be eating. please help, i need to know if hes getting enough to eat

He normally breast feeds every 2 1/2 to 3 hours sometimes longer in between. i decided to pump because my nipples are cracked and raw. the thought of breast feeding makes them hurt. i've tried creams and vit e, either it takes weeks to heal or nothings working. but pumping doesnt hurt so i want him to take a bottle at least during the day to give me a break. I've tried the bottle and he will take it but only drink and ounce burp and then wont take it after that, so i dont know if he figured out its not the breast or if thats all he eats. help me out please

havingaboy08

Asked by havingaboy08 at 12:19 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Id pump atleast 3-4 oz for each feeding. Just be careful LOL. I had to same wise idea and starting make more milk then I needed and felt like a cow after awhile. It was squirting all over and I had too much milk LOL
    Anonymous

• You can also tell how much your baby is eating..by keeping up with their out put..

How many wet diapers they are having and dirty ones..

http://www.breastfeedingniagara.ca/getting_enough.html
    wwwmom0000308

Answer by wwwmom0000308 at 12:25 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• usually a baby stops when they are full. If they puke A LOT, you know you fed him a bit too much! It is normal for them to often puke some though!
    Monnek

Answer by Monnek at 12:27 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• wwwmom is right. if he/she is pooping and peeing then he/she is getting enough. my baby is 3 months now and doesn't eat as much any more but you can't tell because he poops and pees like he's trying to beat the expiration date on the diapers or something. lol
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 12:55 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• The only thing I'd watch is, the baby may not nurse on you anymore, and your milk will dry up sooner than later. My 5 month old eats about 6-8 oz. per meal, so a 3 month old is probably eating about 3-6 oz depending on the baby. If you're just pumping and not nursing at all, I'd go ahead and invest in some formula. When you pump you don't get as much in one pumping session as the baby gets by nursing in one session. So to keep up with the demand, you're going to need to pump 20 mins every 2 hours to not only keep up but keep your milk, that's what I had to do with my first son via advice from lactation expert.
    CCLytell

Answer by CCLytell at 12:56 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• If your nipples hurt, air them out. Still after 5 months I have to do it. Lanolin helps too, also use a new nursing pad each time till they feel better. Went through the same thing not long ago. Keep nursing I used to use a bottle every day so someone else could feed him, NO more bottles is soooo much better.. Hang in there Your body will make enough milk.
    Anonymous