Would you join "The American Dream Movement?"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/van-jones/american-dream-movement_b_826477.html

"After all, it is the American Dream that the GOP's "slash and burn" agenda is killing off. We need a movement dedicated to renewing the idea that hard work pays in our country; that you can make it if you try; that America remains a land committed to dignity, justice and opportunity for all. Right now, this very idea is on the GOP chopping block. And we must rescue it now -- or risk losing it forever.

America will not make it through this crisis healthy and whole if -- at the first sign of trouble -- we are willing to throw away millions of our everyday heroes. Our teachers, police officers, firefighters, nurses and others make our communities and country strong. Their daily work is essential to the smooth functioning and long-term success of our nation. An attack on them is an attack on the backbone of America."

tasches

Asked by tasches at 5:10 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Our teachers, police officers, firefighters, nurses and others make our communities and country strong. Their daily work is essential to the smooth functioning and long-term success of our nation. An attack on them is an attack on the backbone of America."

***
    I agree that many employees in the public sector are incredibly valuable in what they do, but WHO IS GOING TO PAY THEM THEIR SALARIES AND BENEFITS?!?!? States and our country is broke!!

The UNIONS are the ones responsible for generating unbreakable contracts and sweetheart pension plans that have now caused this mess!! We have reached a tipping point!! There simply isn't enough of a contributing tax base to the states or federal government to continue to PAY these "heroes" and absorb their costs for 20+ years after they retire--let alone pay them their salaries and benefits NOW!! Something has to give!!!

And I'm a teacher!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:37 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• The American dream is that everyone has the same opportunity ... not that some people can have their income and pensions forcibly removed from every other citizen. The American dream has nothing to do with unions blackmailing and bribing gov't. officials in exchange for higher wages ... or hefty dues that anyone who wants a job is forced to pay. Right now some employers offer a benefits/pension package that they and their employees all pay in to. Some however, offer benefits and pensions that they expect everyone BUT them to pay into. That is NOT the American dream ... that is a scam artist's dream.

To answer your question ~ NO. HELL no! Huffpo can sell her snake oil to someone else ... because I AM living the American dream and doing it right. I'm not expecting someone else to pay for it. Freaking progressives give me a pain where pills and needles can't reach :-(
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 6:08 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I'm one of those evil slash and burn people you speak of..although I am not a Republican.

I am the parent of a special needs child on the cusp of recovery from an Autism Spectrum Disorder..his teachers/therapists/parapro have a lot to do with his success. I would love to cut them all 6 figure checks every year. I am also a small business owner..one that creates jobs and is the very foundation of the tax base....I don't have anything left to pay you with. I have already reduced wages, cut expenses to the bone and raised the cost of my goods/services. I am not making much more than some of these teachers...plus I have NO benefits provided for me.

What does the OP propose I do?
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 5:49 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Oh, I joined the American Dream movement the day my dad walked out on his family and left my Mom to raise us in poverty. IMO, my life is the epitome of the American Dream.........and I didn't need a union! Amazing isn't it!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 5:51 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Van Jones? You think I'm going to join a group started by that communist? No way, Absolutely not.
    I'm all for slashing away to find that so called American dream.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:51 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Van Jones? You think I'm going to join a group started by that communist?

***

So THAT'S where he ended up after Obama threw him under the bus!??! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:07 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• No way.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:56 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Hard working taxpayers being robbed by wallstreet and banking thieves and politicians in bed with them.

THIS^ people should be in jail. But the "Big Wig" F-ups ALWAYS get the golden handshake and continue on their merry way to repeat the process; rape others, line their pockets, rinse and repeat!!!!

The American dream is NOT possible WITHOUT jobs...right now, there are NO jobs!

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:46 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• That's strange YourSpecial, why do I recall you bragging about how wealthy your family was?

***
    Like me, she has never said HER parents were wealthy, but that SHE decided to work hard and realize HER American Dream, in which she has been quite successful!

I also started out with extremely humble beginnings, and my husband and I have managed to carve a nice little niche for ourselves, AND having never forgotten where we started out in life, have quietly "paid it forward!"

And we didn't need a "movement" in order to do it...the desire to so came from within!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:17 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I totally agree Lori.

Growing up we were WELL BELOW the poverty line. My husband, while not quite as poor, also lived with very humble means.

We work hard, we make decisions to benefit us financially and we continue to better ourselves. We are by NO MEANS "rich" or even close (not even by Obama's standards) but we do well enough to pay for our own children's needs, put a roof over our head, and buy our own groceries which is more than I can say for the household I grew up in.

To me the American dream is graduating from college, working hard, buying a house, starting a business,filling our home with children and enjoying our life. I don't need anything but my willlingness to work hard in order to get there!
    Anonymous