Do you believe kids (under 2 years) have imaginary friends, or do you believe they are angels/spirits of some sort?

I noticed that my dd, as well as other kids under 2, seem to look towards a wall or another part of the room and start playing and laughing at something/someone that isn't there. But they act as if someone is there. Do you think those are imaginary friends or ghosts/angels? I don't think they are imaginary, but I want to see what other moms think.

mommy030507

Asked by mommy030507 at 3:42 PM on Jul. 8, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think it could be both. Sometimes it might be spirits and sometimes it might be imaginary friends. I swear my son used to play with a spirit when we lived in California. There was one in our house (we could hear the sounds of a child running around upstairs late at night when both the kids were fast asleep). My family thought it was an imaginary friend but he stopped playing with it when we moved so I'm pretty sure it was a spirit.

That said, there is a such thing as imaginary friends so who knows.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 3:51 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Both. I know my daughter has been able to see spirits, that's a given for me. As for imaginary friends, I am not used to this myself never having had one but it may be why she always puts 2 of her chairs together. She sits on one and freaks out if you remove the other. The imaginary friend bothers me more than the spirits because they are known to me.
    SantaMom

Answer by SantaMom at 3:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I'm not really sure, honestly. I have 3 kids and none of them ever had imaginary friends, although I guess there is still time for that. I hadn't really thought about it until I saw your question.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:22 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I've always heard little children play with angels. Whatever it is it's wonderful to watch them be so happy with whatever they see or hear.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:26 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• My brother and I used to have two friends: Cubby was the good boy and I can't remember the bad boy's name. Neither one was a spirit, it was all pretend.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 4:26 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I believe both imaginary friends and spirits. Just watch them:)
    perfectkitten

Answer by perfectkitten at 10:13 PM on Jul. 8, 2008