Are you sick of highly paid teachers?

Teachers' hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work 9 or10 months a year! It's time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they do - babysit!
We can get that for less than minimum wage.
That's right. Let's give them $3.00 an hour and only the hours they worked; not any of that silly planning time, or any time they spend before or after school. That would be $19.50 a day (7:45 to 3:00 PM with 45 min. off for lunch and plan-- that equals 6 1/2 hours).
Each parent should pay $19.50 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children. Now how many students do they teach in a day...maybe 30? So that's $19.50 x 30 = $585.00 a day.
However, remember they only work 180 days a year!!! I am not going to pay them for any vacations.
LET'S SEE....
That's $585 X 180= $105,300

per year. (Hold on! My calculator needs new batteries).
What about those special
education teachers and the ones with Master's degrees? Well, we could pay them minimum wage ($7.75), and just to be fair, round it off to $8.00 an
hour. That would be $8 X 6 1/2 hours X 30 children X 180 days = $280,800 per year.

Wait a minute -- there's

something wrong here! There sure is!

The average teacher's salary

(nation wide) is $50,000. $50,000/180 days

= $277.77/per day/30

students=$9.25/6.5 hours = $1.42 per hour per student--a very inexpensive baby-sitter and they even EDUCATE your kids!) WHAT A DEAL!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:12 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I was getting all ready to jump down your throat for thinking teacher are overpaid, heh.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:13 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• haha Me too!!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:16 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Doesn't take a rocket scientist to watch your kids either...teaching has always been underpaid. Sad.
    Anonymous

• I was too lol. I was a tutor and worked at one of the schools and felt so bad sometimes for those teachers. They put up with alot of crap, buy their own supplies and get paid once a month which you know is hard to manage bills and all that on a once a month paycheck.

Answer by gemgem at 5:17 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• http://www.ncpublicschools.org/docs/fbs/finance/salary/schedules/2010-11schedules.pdf

Here's my state's pay schedule. I get the master's pay for 20 years. Now, I have a degree that took me 6 years worth of college to get. Yes, I work 10 months a year. I could make double this in the private market. I choose to stay with teaching because I like it, and I'm good at it. So, I make $5.01 per student per day. I teach 53 students. This is definitely cheaper than day care.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:21 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I don't think they are overpaid at all for the crap and stress they have to put up with , especially in many public schools . When will the next shooting or stabbing be ?
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 5:21 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• ~*California*~ where I live was ranked 3rd worst in the nation!!! So when I come off bitter about the school system, it is with GOOD REASON
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 5:31 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• LOL!!  I was just about to get my popcorn!!  :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:32 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I wish- I'd be rich!!!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:35 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• So could you rework those numbers again to justify the salaries of the NEA executives?  They start around page 52ish and go on from there.  You'll find they're doing way better than that $105k (don't be misled by the part time regional numbers, the big ones are buried in there a ways).  Perhaps, instead of all this righteous indignation at people daring to suggest you not be so bitchy about having a job when so many don't, you could direct some of that vitrol towards the highly paid 6 figure executives who are spending millions of your dues to make you look like the bad guy.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:37 PM on Feb. 22, 2011