Emty nesters!!

I am having a hard time with it,We still have our 16 year old son still home but he's so busy with school that I hardley see him.Our 19 year old son moved out last summer.I have always been a sahm so worked outside of home very little.I'm not really trained in anything.I have become so depressed with my life b/c I was always so busy raising our 4 kids that I never taught myself anything like to sew etc..I don't know how to begin with what they call the 2nd part of my life.Anyone one going through this or something similar?..:/

karencrouch

Asked by karencrouch at 5:24 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• Sorry you are having a hard time with your kids growing up.
    I was happy mine where grown.. But it still took a while to get use to being able to do thing with out them. Start looking for thing you like to do. Or take some classes.

Answer by louise2 at 5:27 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Sorry, I am just starting our family so I don't know how you feel but I do have a suggestion.

What is something you've always wanted to do but never had time for? Scrapbooking? Painting? Home decorating? Cross-stitching? Jogging? Tennis? Cake decorating? Tudoring/teaching? Think about it. Maybe take a class at your local community college. Stretch out your wings a bit. Get involved in a charity organization. Volunteer your time at the local library. Stay active and find ways to enjoy your life again!

Hugs!
    mollyj96

Answer by mollyj96 at 5:31 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I'm not yet but this is a huge fear of mine. Even though I do work outside the home, I wouldn't say I find fulfillment in it. Every one tells me that when the kids are grown I'll have more time for me, but honestly I don't know what that means. More time for what?
    I have been in counseling for a few years, since all this started I was hit with severe depression. In the midst of all the changes and such, I have to started to focus on me more and trying to learn what it is I enjoy. My oldest is 16 and the college requests are already coming in, the first time I cried its better every day. I can't imagine my life without him there. My youngest is 12 and I dread it just as much. I'd start by thinking about what you'd like to do or things you find enjoyment in, then set aside some time for those things, reading, cooking, writing, learning to sew. Try to rediscover the things you enjoyed before being a mom. *Hugs*
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 5:31 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Are there any groups you would consider joining like bridge groups, lunch/brunch bunch, book groups, hiking, etc? You can search for those in your area at meetup.com. Also, if you wanted to earn a little money you can look at jobs at care.com. Use the pulldown to see the categories and then search by zipcode and most recent posting date. Then there is always volunteer work in schools, or the cancer society, etc. You might surprise yourself with how busy you get after the initial adjustment. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:48 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I have a 43 year old son, a 39 year old son, my 27 year old daughter died last year and my 10 year old son died 27 years ago. We were empty nestors for about 6 to 10 years, depending on whether you count college. But now we are raising our 4 year old granddaughter. Our daughter's little girl.
    But this is not answering your question. Join some groups, volunteer, take a class. Get out and do for yourself. Find your interest.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:45 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I meant to also say that they still need you a lot. Mine are 34 and 31 and still show me that they need me.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:07 AM on Feb. 23, 2011