To paci or not to paci that is the Question?

I dont get it when I hear moms say that their child wont take the paci and trying everything to get them to try it even if the baby isnt a fussy baby...

I honestly dont like the paci and have no issues with it when moms are giving it to soothe a fussy baby but other than that whats the point of the paci?

When my daughter was born I did get her one and then after a month or 2 I stopped giving it to her. I had a friend that gave her daughter a paci and it was a FIGHT to get her off off of it and was still sucking on one at teh age of 3.

I just dont get the reasoning behind wanting the baby to take it so bad if he or she does not want it.. Please enlighten me maybe im just naive in this.

KayGia0704

Asked by KayGia0704 at 5:36 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• Mine wouldn't take one either, which suited me just fine. The only reason I even tried is because of the studies that said having a pacifier lowered the risk of SIDS. Every so often (once a month or so) I'd offer it again, but she never cared for it and I threw it out when she was 6 months old.
    mollyj96

Answer by mollyj96 at 5:40 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I honestly dont like the paci and have no issues with it when moms are giving it to soothe a fussy baby but other than that whats the point of the paci?

exactly, afterall, isnt it used to pacify? what is its purpose if not pacifying a fussy infant?

anyway all 3 of mine had one up until they turned 1. they always gave them to them right in the hospital and then it was really too late.. lol. i am currently trying to break it from my 13 month old, but she only uses it at bedtime so i guess thats not that big of a deal. i wish i had never used one though, to be honest, its a hard habit to break!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:44 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• We gave our son a paci starting the day he was born. He had some medical problems along with Judice so the paci really helped soothe him.

He got the paci for nap time and bed time. We didn't really use it just to stop him from fussing. My son slept with a paci up until January when he turned 3. He gave it up by himself.

It doesn't have any ill effects until the adult teeth start coming in. I figured if he was still wanting to suck on something, then if I took the paci away he would suck on his fingers.
    SouthernMama08

Answer by SouthernMama08 at 5:57 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• No paci here, she wouldn't take it so I didn't force it.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 6:03 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I hate pacifiers, especially when you see kids that are 2, 3 or 4 and still walk around with one stuck in their mouths. The nurse at the hospital gave me a pacifier for my son when he was born. I told her I woud not use a pacifier-she tried to tell me that I would have a very irritable, unhappy baby. She forgot to tell my son that! lol He was a very happy baby and never used a paci, the one time my husband tried it he kept spitting itvout.
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 6:37 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• My oldest son took one till he was 1month old and after a month he didn't want it no more which i thought sweet don't have to break him of it but now i will to with his thumb. He didn't take to his thumb either. and he is 3 now.
    My youngest took to a paci since he was born and his thumb. I would prefer the paci instead of the thumb but when the paci is not in his mouth he goes for the thumb. so i have two habbits to break with him.
    2boysyahoo.com

Answer by 2boysyahoo.com at 8:20 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• no paci here neither one of mine took one.
    MomaWeeks

Answer by MomaWeeks at 8:42 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• if you do and the babe takes to it you need to set limitations on it
    my ds only gets his to wind down before bed/nap time
    he never takes it to bed or uses it outside of the home
    i have seen and heard too many being with their doob for 3-4 yrs and they can't break them of it so....
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 9:08 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• My eldest took it on car trips. My youngest was bf so when he wanted comfort he came to me. But I agree, I wouldn't offer it if it weren't a necessity.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 8:56 AM on Feb. 24, 2011