Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Can the state take part of the child support I get because I get food stamps?

I live in Fl if that helps

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:46 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (12)
  • Varies from state to state and by county... California takes your child support, to pay back you getting aide, and you only get $50... my mom worked in that department for a long time, so I learned more than I care to!!!

    Answer by MommaClark3 at 5:47 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

  • the state wont take money for food stamps but if youre getting welfare they may. if your getting child support and your ex is listed as being responsible they will go after him to reimburse for welfare costs.

    Answer by mykidsmom86 at 5:48 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

  • Im not sure about that. I do know that since I get TANF and DD's father at the time was only paying 170 a month ( I think he only paid twice) his payments went to the state.

    Answer by proudmom2510 at 5:48 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

  • Ask your worker... you are assigned one, if not, than call the one that the front office refers you to... not sure what their title is... "worker of the day" or whatever

    Answer by MommaClark3 at 5:48 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

  • It def depends on the state as MommaClarke said. It depends on the involvement. Child support is for your child and not you. So in most states its a seperate issue. Id find out. Just google it

    Answer by Steph319 at 5:49 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

  • My state did...and get this...I was only getting $30.00 a month in child support to begin with.
    They cut me down to getting around $12.50 than $11.20, than they decided since I was getting SO LITTLE in C.S that
    they discountinued my CS all together!
    BTW, I live in Wisconsin.

    Answer by Missikat75 at 5:52 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

  • Sure, after all they are giving you money (or the equivalent of it), so they are just trying to recoup their losses so to speak.

    Answer by scout_mom at 6:08 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

  • If you are getting money too they might.

    Answer by HomeAlone45 at 6:34 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

  • if your getting cash assistance from them , or have had cash assistance then they can


    Answer by WildCat73 at 8:40 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

  • They don't in Oregon. They did count my sons SSI though.

    Answer by sarchasmicangel at 12:47 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.