Just want to take a moment...

Seven months ago, I could not jog 3 blocks without stopping, feeling out of breath, and ready to pass out. Seven months and 55 lbs. (down!) later, I can run for miles and miles at a 9min/mile pace and still feel COMFORTABLE, meaning that I can push myself even HARDER. I'm in the process of training for my first half-marathon right now (half marathon is only 2 months away!) and it is going excellent. I'm so proud of myself for making the decision to become fit 7 months ago. In addition to the running, I've been doing the most extreme home workout program and can actually keep up with the super-fit people on the DVD. I just want to encourage people that if I can do it, YOU can do it. No magic diet pills necessary. Lose weight and get fit on YOUR own motivation. Nothing else involved. I just want everyone to feel the high and motivation that comes with losing weight and getting fit on YOUR own hard work, not the work of some pill or fad diet that most likely won't sustain your weight loss.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:31 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!! I am very proud of you!!!!

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:32 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• You are awesome! :)
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:33 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Congrats, and Hooray for you!! I'm on a 1000 calorie a day diet, sheer will power, and portion downsizing. Cut all soda's and fatty foods, now anything sweet makes me nauseated. I'm certainly loving the weight loss!
    Spicelynn

Answer by Spicelynn at 6:40 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Spicelynn, I'm soooooo proud of you! Way to go! That's the way to do it. I think that as time goes by, you'll find your increased level of fitness to be more empowering than the weight loss. The weight loss with come naturally with your altered lifestyle. Keep up the good work! That is awesome!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:50 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Wow, what a great post! I've been trying to get myself motivated to lose weight, but it's so hard to shake negative emotions. I'm glad for you and keep up the good work. I do have a question for you about losing weight. I want to start working out and I want to start walking and would like to know how many minutes per day should I start walking? I don't want to do much to soon.
    cocobrown28

Answer by cocobrown28 at 6:54 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Cocobrown, I began a walk/run routine for 30 minutes a day. If you feel comfortable with and can walk for 30 minutes a day, start out with that. I just began adding more onto my routine as my body felt comfortable with it. Do things on YOUR own time. Listen to your body and what it's telling you. You will build up endurance over time.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:59 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• That is wonderful, but for me to loose weight I need to get new hips and until then I'm in too much pain to walk to the mailbox
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 7:09 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Awesome job! I'm down about 17 pounds and about 12 inches off my body. Keep it up!

Spicelynn, 1,000 calories is not a lot, and in fact may cause your body to go into starvation mode where you won't lose anything. The average healthy calorie intake for losing weight is 1200-1300 calories a day, anymore or less and you won't see the results you want. Here is a calculator you can use to see your recommended calorie intake: http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/calories-goal.php

Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:41 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Congratulations!!! I feel the same exact way you do, except I quit smoking and started my journey to health and fitness about 4 years ago and am proof positive that if you bust your butt, commit, and don't give up, it CAN be done.
    I've maintained for this long too, because I changed my entire lifestyle. I want to shout it from the rooftops to those who are still unhealthy and unhappy that YOU CAN DO IT and you'll love the way you feel!!!

When excuses stop, progress begins. Congrats again to you!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:30 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Great job!! Congratulations!! I'm getting there myself, and I know the high, it's awesome!! I'm also training for a half marathon. I did my first 5k this month, and came in just under my goal time. I've lost about 50 lbs so far, with about 80 left to go. Learning how to overcome the slumps is the hardest part for me, but I've found my own ways, and I'm doing it! I'm making PERMANENT changes in my life, healthy changes, and doing it for me. It's so motivating, isn't it? Don't you just want everyone to jump on the gravy (well, maybe not GRAVY) train with you? :) It feels so good getting healthy! Keep at it, mama, you're doing great!!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:52 PM on Feb. 22, 2011