Can you get fired for missing work due to the flu on doctors orders?

My sister went to the hospital yesterday with a fever of 105! The doctor brought her fever down, gave her a bunch of scripts and told her to stay out of work until her symptoms go away. She thinks she's going to get fired if she stays out of work, but I was under the impression that it's illegal to fire some one due to illness while under a doctors care.
Any replies appreciated.

slowyourrole

Asked by slowyourrole at 6:34 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Health

• She should have the doctor fax over a note to her employer stating her illness and the time the dr. thinks she will need off from work to get a full recovery.

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:36 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• She would definitely have a case if she sued!! Tell her to get a doctors' note to get back into work and she should be fine!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 6:36 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Depends on your state laws. TX and GA are right to work/fire states. They can fire you for anything, including being sick. I only know about them because I have lived and worked in both states.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:36 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• she needs a note from the doctor if she is out for more than 3 days in most cases. Easy to do, just ask the doc. they do this all the time
    lakenheath

Answer by lakenheath at 6:39 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• if she has called and let them know she was sick and has th er information with the drs instructions she will be fine. i would tell her not to wory just get lots of rest and get better
    princesschilly

Answer by princesschilly at 6:51 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Depends. My company is an at will employer. Meaning basically they can fire you if they want. But they put out very clear company guidelines on absences and occurrences. We all know them well. We are a large corporation, a lot of small businesses just can't give employees that time to be out like my company can. I worked in NC for a very small business, even with a dr note to be home, I had to come in or lose my job.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 7:31 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• if your sister gets fired, she has every right to sue if she has a doctors note saying what she has and the suggested days she needs off to get over it. if i am not mistaken, i think that may fall under the FMLA act of 1993 that clinton signed into law when he was first sworn into office.
    chrisrmom

Answer by chrisrmom at 1:29 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• get her doctor to fax the orders over to where she works they shouldn't have any problems
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:37 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• No if you have a dr note then no
    ja2010

Answer by ja2010 at 8:50 AM on Feb. 23, 2011