Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Any idea how to change your name and id?

I want to change my name and anything that will make my family able to find me. Any ideas on how to start?


Asked by Anonymous at 6:43 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • Maybe talk to a lawyer. One might be able to help or point you in the right direction. Or google it.

    Answer by louise2 at 6:46 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

  • Unless you have a court order it'll be next to impossible. You can change your name by petitioning the court, but you will still have the same social security number.... If you are looking to get away from your family just move out of state...most of them do the "out of sight, out of mind" type of thing.

    Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 6:47 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

  • which will be your new I.D. Take this to the Department of Motor Vehicles, the Social Security of Administration and the Bureau of Records in the state you were born to get a new driver's license, social security card and birth certificate.

    Answer by Razelda at 6:49 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

  • Laws change from state to state, but the process is generally all the same, just follow these steps.

    Contact your local government office to find out the rules and get the paperwork you need to legally change your name officially.

    Fill out the forms, they typically include:
    a petition or "deed poll"
    an order granting name change
    a notice of petition to the public
    an affidavit of consent

    Make copies of all your documents to keep with your own records and then submit your paperwork to the appropriate office.

    Now you wait for the approval, if your name change is not immediately approved, you may need to go to court to defend your reasons. Also put out an ad in the newspaper announcing your name change, this will give the public a chance to object your name change if you have debts under your old name.

    Fill out an affidavit and take it to the court clerk. Wait for the order granting change of name whic

    Answer by Razelda at 6:49 PM on Feb. 22, 2011