Nursing vs. formula question!!

I nursed my first for TWO years. she is now almost 5 yrs.
I nursed my second for 9 months, she is now 16 months old.
I am due w/ my third in March.......and I have a SD who I have alone frequently.. so I am raising 3 kids under the age of 5 already.. will I have time to nurse this baby? I know I want to nurse at least for a couple of months, but I know it will be hard. I dont plan on pumping that has never went well with me & id rather just do formula than pump my life away at this point. Anyone with so many kids find it really hard to nurse by the 4th one? Im a SAHM so that is good.. but Im just afraid I wont be able to take care of the other little ones while the baby nurses................

mohme2three

Asked by mohme2three at 6:51 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• Pumps never worked for me. But I fail to see how sterilizing bottles, scrubbing, measuring, mixing, chilling, heating, the expense, any of that is or could be misconstrued as "easier". How is it not easier to simply shove a boob in the baby's mouth and keep on going? If you use a wrap/sling or carry your child like nature intended, there is no stopping what you're doing.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:10 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• you can do half and half. I would nurse in the morning when the child gets up . you should have time after that to take care of the other two before the child needs to be feed again. @ night I would give the baby a bottle of formula that should help the baby stay full longer so you can get the other two ready for bed and spend some time with them.
    princesschilly

Answer by princesschilly at 6:58 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I would pump and give a bottle
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 7:02 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I did it. I nursed my 3rd baby until she was 11 months old. Her brothers were 20 months and about to be 3yrs old when she was born. When she was 4 months old I started watching a little girl who was 14 months old. By the time I started watching the little girl we were pretty much in a routine with nursing. I would say for you that the first couple of months would be the hardest. I will admit that my boys did watch more tv than I like the first month after she was born. But then I also knew that they were safely sitting next to me on the couch while I was feeding her and not getting into things :) I did do pumping in the beginning, just to have a supply in case we needed it. I also would pump in the morning and give her a bottle then so that the mornings went a little more smoothly. I did that for about the first 3 months or so. It worked well for us. But I am with you, I didn't want to be tied to a pump all day.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 7:13 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I have three kids, all two years apart, and all were ebf'd. It worked out fine, even though for my third I was always very busy with the other two kids and getting them here and there. I really found it a whole lot easier just to put the baby to the breast than I would have to find time to make/sterilize bottles. Often we would sit on the couch and read a book or something together while I was nursing- it also helped that we made nursing really normal- it wasn't something that I hid from the other kids or tried to do in the other room. I sometimes had to nurse and do something else at the same time, but being as I really hate the time invested in washing bottles and mixing formula, it was hands down the best choice for me as a busy mom with other kids underfoot!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:16 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• My Mom had 7 kids and nursed all of them. So i know it can be done
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 7:21 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• My oldest was 5 when I had my 4th. I was also taking care of my terminally ill mother. I asked a similar question and most people told me that I would be happier nursing, and it could be done. Five months into it, I can tell you, it can be done, and I am so much happier. Taking time to nurse the baby is a relaxing time for me. Sometimes, it's the only time I have to relax. Think hard about this one. I formula fed my third because I was so stressed with my kids and my mom that I thought I wouldn't have time. I regret that decision all the time. Don't make a whim decision that you will regret... Good luck, mama. You CAN do it!!!

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 7:57 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Thanks! I do love nursing!! I didn't mention my husband is having some serious health issues that he needs my help constantly.. and my oldest daughter just had major bowel surgery & is in for a long recovery.. so it just seems like the timing to put in extra effort to breast feed longer than 6 months(like my doctor says) is just off. But we will see how it goes once he gets here! Thanks again!
    mohme2three

Comment by mohme2three (original poster) at 10:14 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I would think that bottle/formula feeding would take up MORE of your time then nursing. Yes, in the first few weeks, nursing takes up most of your time, but overall, I think it's a time saver.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:50 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I guess I've had different experiences w/ nursing.. both my girls nursed ALL THE TIME and for HOURS. I nursed them everytime they cried pretty much! So making a bottle would be a lot easier in my case! haha! But I am all about breastfeeding, So hopefully we can manage!
    mohme2three

Comment by mohme2three (original poster) at 7:33 PM on Feb. 23, 2011