What are some good chewy things I can get for my puppy

I get those chewy dog treats and she runs them behind the couch and comes back for more, never chews on them. I need her to stop chewing on toes and toys, what are some good chewy snacks that she will actually stcik with and chew on

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 6:59 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Pets

• Whatever you do, stay AWAY from rawhide chews! They're dangerous & can possibly injure your dogs stomach & intestines. I cant tell you how many dogs I saw brought into the vet hospital I worked at, who had to have surgery to repair the damage done from rawhide chews. Another rule of thumb--never give your puppy or dog a toy small enough to choke on. Teething rings are a bad choice, especially if they're filled with gel. I recommend the Kong toy. They have puppy sized Kongs & pups & adult dogs love them. Be careful with stuffed animals & rope toys too. If any animal ingests threads or strings, it can become twisted around an intestine. I've seen this many times too. Bones can splinter, so be careful what type of bone you give her as well.
    RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 8:58 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• You have to make the toys interesting to her... What really works is getting a Kong ball, it's basically a chew toy with a hollow center. You can put some dry food or treats inside it, and if she's anything like my dogs, she'll be busy for HOURS trying to get to the treats, heh.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:11 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• If you want things that will keep her busy you should get Kongs that you can stuff, Soup marrow bones things like that. I would stay away from stuffed toys because they can be destroyed quickly plus dogs can't tell the differance between their stuff toys and the kids.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:11 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Get her her own little stuffed animal or animals.Have you tried elephant ears. I won't buy them for my dogs anymore. They loved them, but I think they stink.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:03 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I went to the thrift store and bought old worn out tennis shoes for a dollar and gave them to my" puppy". He's a 2 yr old 80lb lab.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 7:09 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I went to the thrift store and got her stuffed toys and even baby teething rings! she will chew on those but she would rather have what she cannot have
    wheresthewayout

Comment by wheresthewayout (original poster) at 7:11 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Pet stores have toys called kinko and they're really good for the dogs. You need to get things that are comforting to the puppy as she gets new teeth. Hard bones, rubber balls she can chase after. Dogs really like little toys that make squeeky noises and they can entertain themselves for a while. I read take turns with different toys so she won't get bored also.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 12:00 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Be careful with the Kongs. They are great and my pups love them, but!! my bulldog chewed her apart. Wasn't the puppy size either! Also, I'll put some peanut butter in the kong, they love it. Just be sure to clean it really good after. I usually fill a bowl with hot soapy water and let them soak. You can also get this ball, it is hollow with holes all over, I put a pigs ear into it, takes them a while to get it out. We also have the nylabones for them.
    tracy0812

Answer by tracy0812 at 8:59 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• The one thing I will say about the Kong balls is... get the black ones. My American Bulldog would destroy the red ones in about 30 seconds, but he couldn't do it with the black ones. Not sure what the difference is, but the black ones are much stronger than the red ones.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:14 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• mini bones work amazing and pigs ears are good also and good for their teeth u can get them both at petsmart
    AliciaLamoreux

Answer by AliciaLamoreux at 6:22 PM on Feb. 23, 2011