Nursing question? adult content

Unfortunately I am not pregnant now dont think I will be anytime soon... but when I had my daughter I tried breastfeeding but she couldnt latch on and I am thinking its because my nips are small/short she tried and fussed and I felt bad because it was just not working.

With my next (if I have a next) I wanted to know what some moms out there did if they experienced the same thing because I definitely want to breastfed.

KayGia0704

Asked by KayGia0704 at 7:01 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Pregnancy

• No, it actually becomes harder the larger they are.

You simply needed some appropriate guidance. There was, and is nothing wrong with you- you simply didn't get a proper education.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:07 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• You can always pump too.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 7:08 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I have inverted nipples so I had to use nipple shields.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 7:16 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Ask a few questions at the breastfeeding group on here too. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:21 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I had SO much trouble trying to breastfeed my son and if I wasn't SO determined to make it work, I would have given up. Part of my problem was I wasn't producing enough milk. And the lactation consultant told me that my son 'wasn't sucking right' and that was why we were having so much trouble. Well, that wasn't very helpful because how do you change the way a baby sucks? So I tried to use nipple shields, that didn't work. I wore those little plastic things to help your nipples air out between feedings, those helped a lot. I also started pumping when I really couldn't bear the pain anymore. I bled so much that I thought my son was going to be sick! It was terrible, but we got though it somehow! Good luck with your next one!
    Blakesmommy0907

Answer by Blakesmommy0907 at 7:26 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• you can start while pregnant pulling out you nipples and 'training them" they need to elongate enough that the baby can "suck it in" you need a GOOD lactation consultant (which are few and far between now a days but contact you local LLL and they can help you (for free)
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 7:51 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I just had my son about 2 weeks ago.... Breastfeeding was hard to begin with but we had it figured out by the time we left the hospital. Just make sure as soon as youre able to hold your baby you put him/her to your bare chest and do the "skin to skin" thing. I did it for about an hour before anyone else touched him... mainly cause I was kinda mezmerised, lol. But if you can't seem to get it to work, have a lactation specialist help you in the hospital. And you'll need help again after you get the actual milk in instead of colostrum, that changes a lot of things when it comes in. Most lactation consultants will work with you until you get it right, I had 2 and they were both great and helped a LOT. My baby latches great now, and basically does it himself lol. Good Luck!!!
    Mommy_Waller

Answer by Mommy_Waller at 8:44 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Pumping, nipple shields and perseverance. You can do anything you put your mind to! :)
    MommyMegO2011

Answer by MommyMegO2011 at 11:56 PM on Feb. 22, 2011