Curious about kitties and babies.

I am pregnant with my first "real child" but hubby and I already have a kitty-baby who's about 12 years old. She seems to know I am pregnant - she was acting very lovey and protective before I even knew for sure!

I am worried how she will react when the baby is born (in October). Does anyone have a cat and a baby? How do they get along? It occurs to me that since she jumps and climbs it may be difficult to keep her out of the crib and pack'n'play and stuff... I am praying the baby isn't allergic!

angelm523

Asked by angelm523 at 7:20 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Pets

• I have a 2 1/2 year old, and 7 (yes, SEVEN) cats. It's never been an issue. I will say that I kept the cats out of the baby's room, because I didn't want them sleeping in the crib with him. Most of them never even bothered, but one of them was (and still is) obsessed with him. She'll creep into his room and sleep on his bed whenever she can, and he regularly hauls her around by the neck. None of them have ever tried scratching him. Like I said, most of them avoid him, to avoid getting their tails/ears/hair pulled, heh.

Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:35 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• my 3 year old does good with Midnight (our cat of like two years old who we have had since idk august ish) except she doesnt grasp how to be gentle hahaha so just keep an eye on them both im sure your baby will be a lot easier on your kitty since she/he will be raised around kittycat :)
    spitfire06

Answer by spitfire06 at 7:22 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• The concern of the cat getting into the crib is a good one because the cat will want to lick at any food left your babies face and this could possibly suffocate him/her. I do know that you can let you cat snuggle the blankets a bit to get her smell on the clothes so when you bring you baby home fromt he hospital the baby will already have her smell on it and it will be easier for her to accept the new addition. Anouck, is right about keeping the cat out of the room because of the threat of it getting in the crib but who say kitty can't cuddle with you and baby on the couch.
    liltxtornado

Answer by liltxtornado at 1:10 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• we have 2 cats one is 14 and the other is 6 and they were great when both my boys were born what you may want to do is after the baby is born let your husband/SO bring home a blanket or something with the baby smell on it and let them lay with that. Never ever let them in the baby's room near the crib though
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:11 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Thanks spitfire - it hadn't occurred to me that the kitty could get hurt or something, LOL I was more afraid that the baby may instinctively fear the cat or something. I really love my cat, and I will be so sad if she doesn't get along with the baby!
    angelm523

Comment by angelm523 (original poster) at 7:27 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• lol I'm sure they will get along well :) haha your cat might love on you way more than the baby lol
    spitfire06

Answer by spitfire06 at 7:37 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Anouck - wow 7! I love cats but 7 might kill me, lol. I had a roommate once that worked with a TNR program and she had about 12 outdoor but inside we had only two. The outdoor cats were all too feral to keep as indoor pets.

Thanks ladies for making me feel less worried!
    angelm523

Comment by angelm523 (original poster) at 7:40 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Yeah, no kidding, it's a zoo! I honestly don't know how it happened, heh. I also have 2 dogs, all my animals are rescues, and all the cats are strictly indoors. I've had most of them since they were kittens, the oldest 4 were feral, I've had them for almost 18 years now. I don't even want to THINK about how I'm going to feel when they pass away, I'll be a total wreck, I'm sure...

Strangely enough, because they used to be feral, they tend to hide when people stop by, so it takes my friends literally years to get a glimpse of all of them, heh. And since I'm totally OCD with my litter boxes (5 boxes, I clean them twice a day), it doesn't smell either :)

Yeah, they're a lot of work, but they're worth it!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:48 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• We really haven't had any problems. When a newborn is introduced, the cats get used to them gradually. It was a concern for me as well but everyone adjusted well. :)
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 7:08 AM on Feb. 23, 2011