How would you feel about a law against smoking in cars with children?

Do you feel you should be allowed to smoke in the car with children present? Do you think there should be wider laws against it (there are in some places and not others)? Do you think it should be a parents choice whether or not they smoke in the car with their child?

Personally, I think parents can GTFO of the car and smoke, if they ABSOLUTELY NEEEEEEEEED their fix. No one should be exposing a child to smoke just because THEY made bad life habit choices. >:O

LizzieyTish

Asked by LizzieyTish at 12:42 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in General Parenting

• I personally dont smoke in my car with my dd. I dont think its right. HOWEVER, it should be up to ME not the damn state! Ppl need to start minding their business and find something better to do! IMO:)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 12:45 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I think the simple fact we need a law like this to protect children from second hand smoke is appalling. A parent should have enough sense to not expose their child, but unfortunately many don't care enough to be bothered. I totally support a law that protects a child, regardless of what the law may be.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:47 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I would support a law like this. I think it is absolutely appalling that some parents or caregivers do not have the sense not to smoke around a child. Most children cannot speak up for themselves so somebody else needs to, even if that is the state.
    afeggan

Answer by afeggan at 12:57 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• As a former smoker, I would support it. When I was smoking, I didn't do it in the presence of my child. It was my decision to harm my health with the smoking, not my right to harm my child's health.

hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 12:58 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Do you think it's fair to the child that by having mommy or daddy exposing them to second-hand smoke, they have a higher risk of developing lung cancer? Did they have a choice in the matter?

I support this law. Parents need to use some common sense with their children. I could care less what others are doing to their own bodies, but when you're affecting other people I start caring!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:27 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I live in B.C. Canada and there is a law against smoking in you car with a child present. I totally agree with this law, I am a smoker but I have never smoked in my vehicle with my daughter, and I would never smoke in my house.
    sheiladm4

Answer by sheiladm4 at 1:40 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Usually I do not like too many laws. However, I would agree with this law simply because its not like the child can just choose to NOT be in the car with the smoker like adults can. The child should be protected.
    AliMom714

Answer by AliMom714 at 2:08 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Yes someone needs to be the voice of these children...it is not their fault that their parents are idiots who don't give a shit about the health of their own kids! It is a shame that this is not just a no brainer and we need to make laws like this to protect other peoples children...I though that was your job as a parent!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:40 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• You know I would have to support the law some one has to have a voice for those pore children whom no one seems to care about. I think that a parent should give their child the best health they can get. Is anyone going to listen to that child when they say mommy/daddy I dont like it when you smoke around me. The parent is just going to tell them to shut up. and what about those children who cant tell their parents that they dont like it. ( and people wonder why there are so many health issues with young children now a days).
    sica1

Answer by sica1 at 5:56 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• You should not drive and talk on your cell phone.That how you get people get in accidents.
    sparkleb19

Answer by sparkleb19 at 9:07 AM on Jul. 28, 2009