My two year old knows how to unbuckle his self from the car seat?

Last week while driving to the grocery store I looked in the rear view mirror and ds was standing up. I quickly pulled over and got out the car strapped him in and lokked him in the eye and told him he couldn't do that anymore. A couple hours ago after coming home from my sister's house I looked in the rear view mirror again and he is standing up. I pulled over and popped his hand and again told him he is not aloowed to do that. I only pop him when I think he is doing something that can put him in danger(playing with a plug outlet or getting near the stove). I don't won't to pop him but I don't know what else to do. How can I get him to stay in his carseat without putting my hands on him?

babygirl0782

Asked by babygirl0782 at 7:30 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Put the fear in him. My sister would do the same thing and my mom said.."If you get out of your set the cops will come and take you away from me!". She never did it again and sadly had nightmares lol. Im not saying to scar him but put some fear in him. Be consistent and do what youre doing. GL!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:34 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Let a police officer talk to him. I know he's only 2, but you can go to a local police station, explain your 2 year old is a great kid but he's recently discovered how to unbuckle himself, and ask if an officer would take 5 minutes to talk with him. Hearing it from someone in a uniform, who he knows is authority, and not mom, might stick better. My little cousin had an obsession with fire as a toddler. Around 3 he almost caught the house on fire while mom was in the shower. She ended up taking him to the fire department, where they gave him a tour, showed him the equipment, explained in 3 year old language the danger of fire, and instructed him what to do in case of fire. After that my little cousin never messed with fire. He's 11 now and still talks about that trip. It doesn't have to be punishment, officers are usually more then willing to lend a hand and the police man might have more effect then you.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 7:35 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Give him something that he only gets when he is in his seat
    STKsMomma

Answer by STKsMomma at 9:08 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Try putting the pokey side of velcro on his buckles... sometimes it hurts enough they will just leave them alone.
    But mostly you just have to keep doing what you are doing... plan a lot of unneeded but FUN trips and talk about them... remind him if he doesn't stay in his seat then you are turing around and going straight home where he will have a time out.... and stick to your word. He will learn quickly that messing with his seat means he can't go anywhere and he also will be punished when he gets home.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:19 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• A friend of mine had a son who did this and did what ba13ygrl1987 suggested. She got fed up and pulled into the police station and one of the police officers helped her make a big deal of it and it never happened again. She wasn'[t intimidating she just told him they needed to talk to the police about this before she got in trouble.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 11:42 AM on Feb. 23, 2011