How to Get my 5 month old to stop being so Fussy before bed time

My 5month old Son Logan is constantly not happy and always sleepy and he refuses his bottle and when he is hungry he drinks half of it and screams like someone is killing him. I gave him solids early but have stopped it cuz thats what the dr said to try. He eats his bottle in the morning, noon, and supper but refuses it at bedtime. I know he is hungry but why won't he eat it, instead i drain the nipple in his mouth. I tried Tylenol, Orjel, cold wash clothes, quite rooms (seems to help just a little). He also refuses to drink his bottle if we are in places like Walmart or Good Will or even restuarants. what am i doing wrong he only gets solids for bedtime and a bottle that is it. otherwise i am forcing it down him
How can i get him to stop screaming for everything, and get him unattached to me? he has his nookie or his thumb he likes along with a blanket but i have to be in the same room with him.

2boysyahoo.com

Asked by 2boysyahoo.com at 7:56 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe try a warm bath with some lavander soap. then get into the bedroom immediately..with a very warm bottle of milk (my son likes his burning hot for bedtime..idk why!)..and rock him in the dark..complete dark and request no one bother you during this time. Spend 20 minutes with him and then put him in his bed and leave.

Sit outside the door and let him cry. till he falls asleep and if he gets up just put him back in his bed and leave. Make sure he can see you, but face away from him. You know hes ok..and you know hes fed..he just has to learn to sleep on his own. It worked for my oldest when i did this. Good luck
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 7:59 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• It sounds like he is overtired. You might want to look at his nap schedule and bed time routine. Babies that age can generally only stay wake 2 hours before needing a nap. A 5 month old is typically taking 3 naps a day. If you get him in bed before he gets too fussy, he will go down a lot easier and probably will take his bottles. You may also be giving him too much at one time. Babies need about 24 oz of breastmilk or formula per day, but if you're only giving him 3 bottles a day, 8 oz might be a little much at one time for his tiny tummy.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 8:04 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• "Unattached to me".... Sounds like you need to give that baby to someone who actually wants him, and will care for him. Hell, I'll take him! Babies are supposed to be "attached to us".
    I'm willing to bet you very rarely ever hold him, and that he gets a bottle propped a lot too. Poor baby. He just needs to be held and comforted.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:07 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I would not feed him solids then a bottle. The bottle is the most important thing right now. The solids might be filling him up. I would try 4-6 6oz bottles a day. And maybe move the solids to lunch time or breakfast.

As for the being attached to you, he's a baby. He should be attached. It is difficult but trust me they do grow up and will want to ditch before you know it. Carry him in a sling if you need to hold him and get stuff done.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:09 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• To ObbyDobbie: I hold him every day he is in my arms while i do dishes, while i do laundry, while i am taking care of my 3 year old son like taken him to the bathroom. I can't be holding him every min of the day i have things to do and another child to take care of who needs me too. i do hold him while he is eating and i rock him. The only time he is not in my arms or next to me is for nap and bed.
    To journey 311: He is getting 3 naps a day, he wakes up at 7:30am and half the time i have to wake him and give him a 6oz bottle for breakfast, then i lay him down between 9 and 10 when he starts getting tiered, then he sleeps till noon and wakes up plays and then has a bottle at 12:30, by 1:30 he is back down for a afternoon nap, Then i have to wake him up around 4:30 and give him a bottle for supper, after that he is down for an early evening nap at 5pm and sleeps until i wake him which is at 6:30pm, he then as a bottle at 730
    2boysyahoo.com

Comment by 2boysyahoo.com (original poster) at 9:16 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• to journey 311- then after that is when he gets his solid foods and gets ready for bed and is in bed by 8:30 or 8:15 and sleeps until 7. I think he is getting to much sleep
    2boysyahoo.com

Comment by 2boysyahoo.com (original poster) at 9:17 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• My son has a very mild form of Cerebral Palsy, but when he was younger, his legs and arms needed to be "worked" to keep them limber. Before bed every night, we had the exact same routine.
    I'd give him a warm bath, then before putting on his jammies, I would use baby lotion and massage his entire body while really working his legs and arms, but the massage seemed to help him relax. Then I'd put him in his crib and either "read" him a short story or sing him a song. More often than not, he'd be asleep before I left the room.

I do think continuity is key. That way he begins to understand that after bath and story, (or whatever you choose to do), It's bedtime.

IMHO, it's also important to start the bedtime routine and get him to bed before he's overly tired. You'll learn to recognize the signs.

Good luck!!
    5150mama

Answer by 5150mama at 12:49 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I would try a routine. bath time,story, maybe some singing quietly. Works for my daughter, and she's 8 weeks. I try to lay her down by 9 every night. By 10 she's usually asleep. And also I want to comment on you saying you think he's getting TOO much sleep, I just read yesterday that babies who nap more during the day are proven to sleep better at night because a baby who doesn't nap produces cortisol, which is a stress hormone that makes it harder to fall and stay asleep.
    cailynsmommy626

Answer by cailynsmommy626 at 1:28 PM on Feb. 23, 2011