How long would you wait before giving up conceiving a child?

Trying for awhile now, so How many years would you just give up and not try anymore?

LovelyLexy84

Asked by LovelyLexy84 at 8:07 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• thats only a question you and DH can answer... I would be willing to give it many many years... depends on how bad you want it or is adoption an option?!?!?
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 8:09 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Have u talked to Fertility specialists to understand why you have no been able to concieve? for both you and your SO?

my friend had to do that after trying for 3 yrs..nothing is wrong with her but their may be something wrong with her SO's sperm
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 8:10 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• what is a while? My first took 18 months ttc. My second took a sneeze. The third took 2 years and serious fertility treatment.

First make sure you have DH/SO and yourself checked by a doctor. Then discuss the results and what you are willing to try to have a child. But I would go the doctor/fertility specialist testing route before even thinking about giving up.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:12 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I have tried off and on for 12 years... after wt loss surgery I was finally able to conceive!
    tnunley

Answer by tnunley at 8:24 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• It's really for you two to decide. Sometimes, when you decide not to try anymore, letting that stress go can allow it to happen. That's why so many people conceive right after they adopt! It happens a lot. The stress of TTC can actually hinder it from happening. It can suppress ovulation and cause your body to overreact to foreign substances (read:SPERM) in your body. You can also try some relaxation techniques. I assume you guys have already seen a fertility specialist? It might be a good idea to do so before giving up. If you're under 35, they want you to be TTC for a year before you go, 6 months if you're 35 or over. Good luck!

musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:41 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• We adopted our first 2 children and didn't expect to be able to get pregnant on our own as we had never used protection for 11 years! We were told we had unexplained infertility which wasn't really the answer we wanted to hear but we always thought that if it 'happened' for us, that would be great too!
    Well, last March, I found out that I was pregnant! We were so excited and surprised! I did m/c in June at just under 3 months but were determined to keep trying as our Nurse Practitioner and Doctor told us as they couldn't see any reason why we shouldn't be able to concieve again and have a healthy baby. Well, just 4 months of trying, we got pregnant AGAIN! I thought that this was it! We were finally having our second chance! Well, after seeing our baby and the heartbeat at just 5 1/2 weeks, I m/c that baby too :( We have ben told not to give up and I think that is what is keeping me going. We will stop in a few years
    miraclewaits

Answer by miraclewaits at 8:45 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• as that will mean that we are 40 and we, personally don't want to continue trying after that as our other two children will be 10 years old by then. Only YOU know when enough is enough. I hope you are able to make a decision that both you and DH can live with. If you desire to have a family, I hope that can come true for you.
    miraclewaits

Answer by miraclewaits at 8:46 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• After 12 years I totally gave up and got rid of everything that I had collected for my babies. I started focusing on my wedding and right in the middle of making plans, OH BOY guess who's pregnant. You do have to give up if you don't want to, just don't try so hard and let it consume your mind. When you relax and least expect it is when it happens for alot of people. Good luck
    Tracee F.

Answer by Tracee F. at 8:57 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• For me, 5 or 6 years I guess but who knows really

My husband and I tried for 2 years before I got pregnant with our twins and have been trying again since they were 1 (4 years) We're just about to start fertility treatments and will give that awhile but realistically if it hasn't happened in the next 2 years we'll probably stop. (I'll be 32 then)
    Aria_2

Answer by Aria_2 at 4:35 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• it depends. I just lost a pregnancy and i'm already just about to give up. But deep down inside, i want a child badly.
    And so i'm trying again......i've heard some couples waited for 10 years to be able to conceive....so patience is preserverence
    babymel6070

Answer by babymel6070 at 4:16 AM on Feb. 24, 2011