Lights on Inside House

My family and I came home this evening from dinner to find that one of our rooms had the lights on. I was thunderstruck. This is not the first time this has happened to me. Several years ago, my daughter and I left our apartment for an appointment. When we came back later on at night, this first thing I noticed was that the light was on in our living room. This was noticeable from outside because we lived on the second floor. The path leading to our apartment faced the living room. As soon as I had the thought that maybe I was mistaken and had left the light on, my daughter asks, "Mom, didn't we turn all the lights off before we left?" I asked her to stay outside of the apartment while I checked for anything unusual. Nothing had been touched. I was reminded of that incident tonight. Anyone else with this type of occurrence?

lilymar

Asked by lilymar at 8:27 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Home & Garden

• no. sorry. when my husband was deployed i would leave lights on when i left but that was for my safety. i would freak it that happened to me. are you sure you didnt forget to turn the light off?? the apt was locked right? hmm idk
    proudmom611

Answer by proudmom611 at 8:30 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Yes, the door had been locked. I am unnerved. Thanks for responding, though.
    lilymar

Comment by lilymar (original poster) at 8:33 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I've never experienced the light thing but I once had a TV turn on and off in front of me a few times. I swear my house was haunted when I was younger.
    NikLvsNick

Answer by NikLvsNick at 8:41 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Can't say that I have. But we always leave a light on when we leave and might return when it's dark for safety reasons. My dad keeps the living room light in front of the windows on a timer so it comes on when it gets dark. In fact, there is always a light on in our house (and my dad's house) somewhere. I usually keep the light above the stove on in the kitchen so I can get around the hoes at night and not bump into stuff.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:51 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Every now and then a light will be on when we come home and we just say, guess we forgot to turn off that light. We don't really think anything about it.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:00 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Check with your apartment manager.
    In the last apartment complex I lived in the maintenance people would come in and do whatever needed to be done. They would leave a light on inside to show they were there. This annoyed me for many reasons including the fact that they would post a message at 6am near the mailboxes stating work was to be done starting at 9 and pets should be put in a locked room. Thing was I worked nights and got home at 4am or 9am depending and never got the messages in time or would have the chain on when they wanted to come in.
    This could be happening to you.
    Or it could be a timer set or a faulty wire.
    elizabooks

Answer by elizabooks at 3:12 PM on Mar. 2, 2011