Moving ur membrains around?

So i went to the doc today for my 39 week check up and im 1 and a half cm and 50% effaced. And i guess when she checked me she said she was a lil rough on me to help me out and said she moved my membrains around she said she couldn't get to all of it she never said she stripped them just saidshe moved them around what is that suppost to mean?

Tarrahs2011

Asked by Tarrahs2011 at 8:29 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Sounds like basically a rough exam or stripping your membranes. I wouldn't put too much stock into those checks, because they really don't mean anything. I've had women who were dilated to 4 cm for weeks or months, and others who were closed up and high one day and holding their newborn the next.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:36 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I've heard that stripping membranes works for some, doesn't work for others. Depends on if your ready enough for labor I think.
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 12:20 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I dont know...my Dr. said he was "helping me out" over a week ago, and I still have had nothing :(
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 8:31 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• that sucks no matter what im being induced next wed on the 2nd so eather way in a week im having him
    Tarrahs2011

Comment by Tarrahs2011 (original poster) at 8:36 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Why are you being induced so soon?
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:37 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• cuz its a c-section but i talked to her today and she told me that they will try potosin or whatever that stuff is to help start my labor but has to be carfull cuz my 1st son was breech so i had a c-section so i already set one up again but my ob really wants me to try and go into labor but they have to be carefull cuz i guess it can be very harmfull to induce you once you had a c-section. So she was going to try a lil of that and see how i do if not my c-section is still that day
    Tarrahs2011

Comment by Tarrahs2011 (original poster) at 8:40 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Does your hospital not do VBACs, or did you opt for a second c-section? It's healthier to go into labor before having a c-section, but it's more important for it to happen naturally. Can they wait for you to go into labor naturally, and then go in? Not trying to sound judgmental! I'm just not a fan of unnecessary interventions if they can be avoided. Babies tend to come when they're ready, and due dates are really just an estimate. I know DS's was 10 days off (based on when we documented his conception, and even the doc and nurses said we were right when he was born).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:46 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• whats vbac? Im not sure i know with c-sections they wanna get the kid b4 you go into labor but i don't really need a c-section i know with my son i went a week early cuz they didn't want me to go into labor but idk how this one works
    Tarrahs2011

Comment by Tarrahs2011 (original poster) at 8:50 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I never found the "stripping" of membranes very enjoyable -- in fact rather painful last time around and NOT helpful. Am refusing this kind offer with this baby. It's supposed to help initiate labor
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 9:11 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• VBAC= Vaginal Birth After Csection
    TatymMommi

Answer by TatymMommi at 9:50 PM on Feb. 22, 2011