I need help with 2 year old discipline

My angelic 2 year old is turning into an all out monster! I have been working with kids for 11 years but my own 2 year old has brought me to my knees. How do i pull in the reigns? I do spank occassionally and use time out on a regular basis. I always talk about what happened and why she was disciplined... I am at a loss. She runs my house! Do you have any suggestions?

maddismama

Asked by maddismama at 12:57 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• someone, anyone???? Please! I need advice from moms who have been through this time and have survived! Please!
    maddismama

Answer by maddismama at 1:10 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I have the same problem. I use the same methods of discipline but my daughter does not care sometimes. She just laughs at me and her father and keeps doing what she wants. Sometimes i just want to scream. One thing we have figured out is that when she goes with other family members (her grandmother) she is ten times worse because she lets her get away with murder and treats her like a baby. I hope you get some helpful answers cuz i could use some advice too. One thing that i just started that seems to work is I take away toys that matter to her and then she listens for a little while. When she behaves well I give them back to her.
    tinaaly

Answer by tinaaly at 1:11 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I don't have an answer but I also have a 2 almost 3 y/o and every child my mother or I have ever been around is easy to discipline but mine is wild and very willful. Although i have figured out that a very strict schedule during the day has calmed him down but he still has his moments. I stay at home with 3 other toddlers and we've been on our "schedule" for a week now & this morning he asked me if we could do school & when were we going to do art. We just got done wiht lunch & he's actually a little calm. Laying down driving cars, which is good since we're about 5 minutes from nap time. Anywho! Long story short, I'm trying that strict schedule. It's working about 85% of the time.
    I'll be looking at your other answers for tips still though! :) G/L
    krissymamaof2

Answer by krissymamaof2 at 1:13 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• thanks let's see if we can both get some advice. At least i am not alone!
    maddismama

Answer by maddismama at 1:13 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Oh, also he hates time out so i put him in time out for 7 to 10 minutes, which is long but it gets the point across. & tell everyone else how you discipline so they can do the same if they are in charge of her. I don't let grandparents let him get away with "bad" stuff since that just puts me back at square one. If they respect your parenting then they should listen. Although they help but give cookies or buy treats sometimes. :)
    krissymamaof2

Answer by krissymamaof2 at 1:17 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• My daughter is two and I figured out a while ago that she is very determined. I chose a time out to go off that. I have her put her nose in the corner and she works so hard at getting her nose in the right spot that the attitude stops and she calms down as well. I do spank as well. I have even had to put her in her high chair in the corner (but that hasnt happened in a while). But, mostly, talking to her and reinforcing things that are bad. The hardest thing is to not give her the time of day. By this I mean that when she gets in trouble, scolded, spanked, or in time out, if she starts screaming or crying, I will not even look at her. If she throws herself on the floor, I step right over her if I have too. All these things have not happene in months! I just stayed consistant with her and her attitude changed and she realized that mommy wasnt going to give in.
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 1:25 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• That tends to be my fatal flaw if she says, "Mama I so sorry!' I melt faster than a pop on a summer day. I should try just ignoring her at those points!
    maddismama

Answer by maddismama at 1:38 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I think more information would be necessary in order to assist you.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 1:39 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• such as?
    maddismama

Answer by maddismama at 1:48 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Keep your explanations short. Do not lecture. Three sentences or less. More than that, and she will tune you out.
    And yes, ignore her apologies. Say "Thank you for apologizing but you still have to be punished for breaking the rules."
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:24 PM on Nov. 19, 2008