What would you do?

If you had the opportunity to get a matching bedroom set (long dresser with mirror, tall dresser and queen size bed w/ mattress solid wood Near fine condition) for free, BUT it would be only you and another woman removing it from a second story apartment, loading it into a pickup truck and then hauling it up two flights, along with having to move the existing one (non matching set) down two flights, out to the truck to a GoodWill/Salvation Army all the while watching a 2 & 1/2 yr old would you do it? There is no one to help, no dollies or handtrucks, and you only have one day to do it.

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 8:39 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I would call all of the men I can think of and ask if they or anyone they know would like lunch and an hour of work.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:41 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I would call in some help and go for it. You can't beat a free bedroom set in good condition. I would buy a new mattress though, because of bedbugs, just to be safe.
    matheson7

Answer by matheson7 at 8:47 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Is there a local college you can go pay some strong boys to carry it down. College kids always need money and are usually happy to do a job like that!

Find a babysitter for the 2 year old...more injuries happen to children during moving my pediatrician told me once.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 8:50 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I would suggest getting a babysitter for a toddler though.
    matheson7

Answer by matheson7 at 8:48 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• @matheson7 not just bedbug, it would just gross me out lol
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 8:57 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I would go for it and like it was said before, try to get some help! Dont you know anyone who can help with that, any family or friend or neighbors? Or even to pay someone to help you.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 8:58 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I would rock it because I am skilled at moving even with lo under foot
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:35 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I would never be able to move it. I would hire someone.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:41 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• No need to replace the mattress its been in a plastic cover in a spare room since she got it.
    I have one guy who could help for a few hours, but he is very scrawny and has Carpal Tunnel. I have just enought cash to cover the gas for the truck and them I'm broke until the 15th of March. So not able to hire anyone either.
    The people SHE is getting her new to her set from only have 5 days to clear out their stuff from a store (they owned, & lived above now going out of business & moving) so we need to get it before then.
    We've had 8 yrs together w/o out a matching set... and I've never had one before...so is it really all that worth it?
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 8:57 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Call the thrift stores near you sometimes they do pick ups for donations, that would at least help with getting your old stuff out of the way.
    Sagen

Answer by Sagen at 10:06 PM on Feb. 22, 2011