Sleep issues

My children depend on me to go to sleep, I have to lay with them to get them to sleep. How do I start to change this habit, any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have the same problem at times. Most of the time I read my son a story and he falls right to sleep after the story is done and I lay there with him for a few minutes.
    AequitasVeritas

Answer by AequitasVeritas at 10:18 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• they are old enough to understand. so have a talk with them. I have a 5yr old daughter. Tell your child that he/she is a big girl/boy and doesn't need mommy to lay with them anymore. read a book to them and then say good night. and tell them you will check on them.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 10:18 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I Hate to say this but it may take some tough love.... There may be alot of crying and alot of trips taking the child back to bed but you HAVE to follow through. I gave my daughter a special bear that protects her and is there to give her good dreams..... Hopefully this situation goes smoothly for you!!! GOOD LUCK!!
    familynsni

Answer by familynsni at 9:49 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Find a substitute for bed time, such as a large stuffed animal. Also, make sure you have a well established routine. Story, lullaby, hug, kiss, bedtime.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:22 PM on Mar. 1, 2011