I have the flu and possibly bronchitis...I can't eat, can't sleep, I'm hacking up my lungs, my nose is pouring gunk, I'm fevering and all the doctor could give me was some cough medicine and Ibuprofen...any home remedies to make this easier?

My whole body is aching...I feel like my lung is about to collapse...my throat is raw and burning and I have blown my nose so many times I've torn the skin off.

I'm miserable. Every time I lay down I just cough worse. They said I don't have bronchitis yet but that it could easily go into it and that I need to go back if it gets worse...well it's worse and I can't get in until friday.

Any home remedies? I need to get some rest. It's exam week at my college :l

davila26

Asked by davila26 at 8:49 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Health

• www.home-remedies-for-you.com/remedy/​Bronchitis.html ,health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/​natural-medicine/home,www.greathomeremedies.com/cold.html , try google. Put in your symptoms, diagnoses and that you want home remedies.

matheson7

Answer by matheson7 at 8:52 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Long hot shower or a humidifier . . . that will help soothe you and loosen you up.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:54 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Elderberry syrup. It works wonders on my asthmatic lungs.
    Vapor rub on the bottoms of your feet. Cover with socks. It will help with the coughing. I do it to my kids and myself.

Feel better!
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:54 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Mega doses of vitamin C and D3. Also, if you can get your hands on some goldenseal root and grapefruit seed extract, they will take it all away. :) You can find these things usually at your local grocery store in the organic section.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 8:55 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• honey in some tea will help with your cough and your throat. vapor rub would help too.
    sorry but you pretty much have the flu there isnt much that the doc can do.
    hope you feel better
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 9:02 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Avoid dairy while you are sick – it can increase the amount of mucus your body produces.
    Peppermint tea is great! Peppermint is a natural decongestant; just be sure that peppermint is the only ingredient.
    Honey (antibacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory) is the best cough syrup.throat soother.
    Emergen-C will help you stay hydrated and give you an energy boost; be sure to mix it with cold water. The lowest price is at Trader Joes, though it is sold just about everywhere (Target, Walgreens, etc.).
    I am a big believer in the power of foods. This healing foods pyramid from the University of Michigan is great: http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/index.htm
    Get some Elderberry syrup.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 10:45 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference. A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms.
    Most important, stay well hydrated!
    I always make miso soup when someone is sick
    Morning miso
    2 cups veg. broth
    2 cups hot water
    4 Tbsp. miso
    1 tsp. fresh ginger root, grated
    1/2 cup diced firm tofu
    3 Tbsp. thinly sliced scallion greens
    1/2 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
    I have substituted onion for the scallions, and left out the mushrooms. I have also added some thinly sliced chinese cabbage, because I happened to have it.)

Pour the veg. broth and 1 cup of water into medium saucepan. In separate bowl, dissolve the miso in the remaining 1 cup water. Mix well and add to saucepan. Add the ginger root and mushrooms and heat until simmering (about 5 minutes).

• Pour the veg. broth and 1 cup of water into medium saucepan. In separate bowl, dissolve the miso in the remaining 1 cup water. Mix well and add to saucepan. Add the ginger root and mushrooms and heat until simmering (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in
    the tofu and scallions. (If adding other veg. like onion or cabbage, you'll want to simmer until they are tender before adding tofu.)

• Use Vicks Vaporub. Take the Ibuprofen. Eat fruit. Stay away from people who smoke. Get outside in the fresh air. Drink juice. Get some rest. Do not go swimming. Do not do any strong exercise at this time as it could damage your heart.
    MLM247

Answer by MLM247 at 11:53 PM on Feb. 22, 2011