60 Students per class??? How can anyone think this is a good idea???

Ok; I get it...they're broke; but surely there must be some other options here.

60 students per class is insanity! These kids aren't going to learn anything; you're going to end up with much larger than 'normal' drop out & failure rates...this is so sad.

What do you ladies think?

DETROIT (AP) -- State education officials have ordered the emergency financial manager for Detroit Public Schools to immediately implement a plan that balances the district's books by closing half its schools.

The Detroit News says the financial restructuring plan will increase high school class sizes to 60 students and consolidate operations.

State superintendent of public instruction Mike Flanagan says in a Feb. 8 letter that the state plans to install another financial manager who must continue to implement Emergency Financial Manager Robert Bobb's plan after he leaves June 30. Flanagan's said approval of Bobb's plan means the district can't declare bankruptcy.

Bobb filed his deficit elimination plan with the state in January, saying it would wipe out the district's $327 million deficit by 2014

Bobb was hired in March 2009 by then-Gov. Jennifer Granholm.

beachmamaof2

Asked by beachmamaof2 at 9:06 PM on Feb. 22, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• holy crap. so were talking 60 per 1 teacher? what the hell? the kids arent going to get any help at all much less learn anything. and the poor teacher is not going to give a shit because they are going to be so over loaded.
    thats what this country is turning into just a herd of cattle. we herd them through school and we herd them through work. start mooing.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 9:11 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• It can work for self-motivated college kids in a lecture class.

For high school when half of the kids are only there because they're facing truancy charges....not so much. Granted, I don't know particular statistics about this specific area, but still. And with all the extra work the teachers are going to get handed to them with grading twice as many students in the same amount of time, there's no way the curriculum won't suffer. And that's if the teachers don't quit from being overworked (for no more money, I'm sure, because teaching isn't an important job at all *eyeroll*).

I don't see this doing anyone any favors. Way too drastic.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:17 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• blank starecan of wormstsk tsk

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 9:25 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• hmmm; I didn't mean to post this Anon - must have checked the wrong box - crap now my e-mail will "explode" lol

Yeah the way it reads 60 high school students per class. It doesn't say about the younger kids but you have to imagine it's affecting them as well.

Look I know money is tight everywhere - but I can't believe anyone thinks this is a valid solution!

Apparently per the reports Detroit's "drop out rate" has improved to 62% graduating in the last few years...that's good?...well I can only guess it's going to decrease rapidly with this new plan in place.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:31 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• In a school district filled with low income, low achieving students with little parental support it is not going to work. Sounds like trouble for the students and teachers.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:51 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• OP, if you click edit on the question you can turn off anon (I think you can fix the email setting too)

As for Detroit, there's a reason it's called desperate measures. This isn't a fluke of an idea, this is what's at the bottom of the barrel they've already been scraping for years. When you have a city that big and half of it is literally empty, you just don't have the revenues to run things, including schools. It's not a question of good ideas anymore - they're down to how to not be in violation of federal law by not offering education at all.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:01 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• That is messed up. It is against the law here to have more than 22 kids in a classroom and in K they have to have 2 teachers for 22 students.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:15 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Awesome NP great tip - used to be you couldn't edit once people started replying! My e-mail box and index finger both thank you! lol

I too was under the impression that half the city was deserted; so I could totally understand not running schools in the lower pop neighborhoods and spreading those students out amongst the other schools; but this just seems like more than that. Wouldn't one more school open significantly lesson the amount of students per class? Perhaps they're deficit isn't gone til 2015/2016 instead of 2014 - is one year that big of a deal compared to the amount of students that can be harmed by this? Is any gov't agency local/state/fed ever really made it to a true 'balanced' budget?

matthewscandi - I too thought there was a law limiting teacher:student ratio but perhaps that's state by state or district by district? Or they're including that change into this proposed deal?
    beachmamaof2

Comment by beachmamaof2 (original poster) at 10:30 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Any time you think education is expensive, try ignorance!!! I would be looking around for a different place to live. The class size here is limited to 27 maximum in the primary grades and 20 in the secondary grades. A class of 5 students can exist in a secondary school if the principal can justify it. To penalise the service of education just because the government made poor financial decisions is definitely misguided. Large class sizes result in poor quality of education for the majority of students.
    MLM247

Answer by MLM247 at 11:18 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• We already have 40 kids to a class here. Our district is facing about 10 million in cuts...it varies from 8-12 million they won't know for sure until the state comes through with their budget. They are expecting to have to fire another 50-100 teachers because the union has taken a "no discussion" approach even though the teachers have been very vocal about wanting to discuss it.

They are talking about having "pods" this next year...supersize classrooms with 50-60 kids, 1 teacher and a pt time parapro........for ELEMENTARY SCHOOL! That is freaking ridiculous and imo unacceptable given the fact it is the union making the choice.

We have 2 private schools..with waiting lists and 1 charter school with low income guidelines. I am so glad we are moving out of this moronic state.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:40 PM on Feb. 22, 2011