Why is my son potty trained one day but not the next?

My 22 mo. old decided he wanted to potty train. At first he wanted to sit on the potty and pee (which he did), then he wanted to stand and pee (and he did). One day he grabbed himself and said he had to pee. I told him what to do, and he went into the bathroom, put his stepstool infront of the toilet, lifted the seat, peed, put the seat down, and flushed! But it's a hit and miss. One day he'll do great! the next day he pees in his pants all day (and deliberately sometimes too!) Please help, I don't know what to do! I know he knows what to do, and I don't agree with punishing for accidents, but this is ridiculous!

CCLytell

Asked by CCLytell at 1:03 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He will go back and forth for a while........he will then decide that he doesnt like being wet/poopy and start doing really good.......you just have to give hime time. With my daughter, she would have no accidents one day and then it would be hell the next.
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 1:11 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• One day he may work really hard on the potty training, the next he may be working really hard to master something else. And you may not even be aware of what that something is.
    Have you noticed yet that one day he may speak somewhat clearly and the next you can barely understand him? Or that one day he may be really into his crayons but then won't play with them for days? When he's working on mastering something, he gives it his full attention. And everything else gets shoved to the side.

For now, just say mild things like "Oh, those wet pants must feel yucky. Are they cold and wet?" And calmly help him change and have him help clean up the puddles. Once he has been fully trained for at least a few months, then you can start to consider punishments for deliberate accidents - but even then, remember that a new teacher at school, learning to read, a change in his schedule can disrupt things for him.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:12 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Well thats pretty common. It just means hes not ready to be consistent but he gets the idea. I have a 2.5 yr old who does the same thing. He pees in the potty all by himself several times a day and then wets his diaper the rest of the day. Just give him time.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:08 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Because he's still very little to be potty trained. He's dabbling in the toilet studies :)
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 2:15 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Ja ja, I'm going trough the same, and it is ridiculous I know but I believe is just the process. we just have to be patient. I guess. just don't give up and most important don't takeit  personal. Remember he is just learning and verry small, and it is our job to teach them. Hang in there!! It will happen...good luck

Grieka

Answer by Grieka at 5:37 PM on Nov. 19, 2008